• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HELP! Sick baby beardie?!

Luke112

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so me and my roommate just bought ourselves two baby beardies on tuesday.
-Around 2 Months old
-Bought at PetCo.

Problem is one is acting very strange.
She ate fine this morning (small crickets/gutloaded/dusted) and lightly sprayed both of them. When i got home this afternoon she was laying in the back corner of the tank (ground), eyes closed and strange breathing.
I then put in some fresh Kale. Followed with about 10 small crickets. My beardie went and started feasting on the crickets. BUT the other one just barely got up to watch the commotion. I waited a few hours and she was still doing it. I tried to pick her up to move her to the warm side of the tank or onto basking spot but she sort of got jumpy and freaked out. Which has never happen before!

What could be wrong!!!

I dont feel we are doing anything wrong since my dragon seems perfectly fine. Sits there most of the day basking with her head up, eating great, very responsive to interaction. And the two have not had any issues with each other.

Heres our tank setup

20 Gallon- (Yes i know this is small but it is only temporary, maybe a week at the most, we plan to get either two 40 Gal. or a 75 Gal.)
-100 Watt basking lamp
-100 Watt nighttime red basking lamp
-30 inch UVB (Zilla Reptile Strip Light) (50UVB T8 Fluorescent Bulb)
-Substrate- Newspaper for now
-Temp on hot side: 92-96 (Day) 84-86 (Night)
-Cool Side: 86-88 (Day) 76-82 (Night)

We are new to reptiles but feel that we have a good understanding of the basics and truly care about their health!!

PLEASE any suggestions would be wonderful!

Thanks,
Luke

Nick

Hatchling Dragon
Try soaking the beardie, it could have parasites, especially from brand name stores like petco, petsmart and soaking could help. Also get a sample of its stool and bring it to a known reptile vet. He can check for parasites and will be able to give you medicine thats probably not that expensive. Just my opinion but wait for more. This is important! You should do it regardless.

Im new to bearded dragons myself, but Im also thinking either the tank is too small, or the you may have 2 male beardies and the one that doesnt move could feel threatened?

Edit: Also could you put pics up of the sick beardie, just trying to cover all corners.

And I would DEFINITELY get 2 seperated 40 Gallon tanks. The 75 will be too crowded and the beardies will more than likely fight. So definitely cannot stress enough get TWO seperate tanks =]

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
3.jpg

http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/i...co-habitation-a-good-plan.5172/#axzz1wWOKcBl9

Lose the night light, unless your ambient room temps drop below the mid to low 60sF at night, heat\light is not needed or wanted. Night lights, no matter what color, will bother most BDs sleep. BDs should be allowed to cool at night, slows the metabolism for a good nights rest. Should your night room temps drop below that, a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) is recommended at a wattage or distance just to take the edge off.

Please post pics of your set up that show your lighting distances. The basking spot temps should be in the 110F vicinity, measured directly at the Basking Spot, with a heat gradient down to 80F-85F at the cool side.

If you truly care about their health, you will separate those two as soon as possible.

Some other links that you may find helpful ...

http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/i...re-sheet-a-place-to-start.5177/#axzz1wWOKcBl9
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutritionframeset.html

Good Luck

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum. As Germ recommended, I would separate the two dragons. They'll both be better off that way. Beyond that, we'll need some additional info (1 photo is worth 1,000 words!) to get to the bottom of this!

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey Luke, welcome 2 The Forum. As mentioned above, I also believe cohabitation is your problem & if they are separated you will definitely see a change in both dragons behavior. They both need time to adjust to their new surroundings & with it being only 2 of them in the new space, one dragon will claim the dominant position & this is what you are witnessing now.

Also, getting two 40's is the best way to go.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
They can survive in two 20's for a short time though, you'll also be buying two 40's later. You probably have a dominant one and a less dominant one, co habitation definitely is always a bad plan unless you're breeding, and then for only short time frames. Check for signs of a respiratory infection just in case though, you mentioned breathing was an issue. Is there additional mucous coming out of its mouth or nose? Is it making "coughing" noises?

Luke112

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you all for the advice. I bathed her and separated the two when feeding. I also bought another fake plant that sticks to the tank for her to bask on, away from the other dragon.

She seems a lot better. I believe it was a bit dehydration.

I think you guys are right about the dominance issue. We plan to get two 40 gal tanks ASAP. GERM: About the night lighting, I live in wisconsin so sometimes it can get pretty chilly at night.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you all for the advice. I bathed her and separated the two when feeding. I also bought another fake plant that sticks to the tank for her to bask on, away from the other dragon.

She seems a lot better. I believe it was a bit dehydration.

I think you guys are right about the dominance issue. We plan to get two 40 gal tanks ASAP. GERM: About the night lighting, I live in wisconsin so sometimes it can get pretty chilly at night.
It would be advisable to get a CHE for night time heating, they put out heat but no light.

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
i agree with germ, aleen and eveyone. a night light will(no matter what color light) mess up the Bd's sleep. a CHE should work fine for night time heay.

or another option that may workis to cover the tank with a towl or blinket so the air does no escape(do this right after lights out and the heat should stay in)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
GERM: About the night lighting, I live in wisconsin so sometimes it can get pretty chilly at night.
Actually check you room temps at night. I live in Canada & it gets a little 'Nipply' when it's -40 outside, but inside never usually drops to the mid to low 60's. ;)

Latest posts