• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HELP: rescue dragon with possible MBD

Ethangauth

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, i just rescued this severely neglected bearded dragon. She severely malnourished, underweight and shaky when she tries to move. As soon as i put her in a 20 gal quarantine enclosure she now wont move much but she keeps her head up and looks around. She always keeps her mouth open when in her enclosure and the basking spot isn’t that hot. She just sits there with her mouth open and wont ever close it much. Also, I feed her alot but she wont poop so im scared to feed her more even tho she needs it. Is there anyway to stim a malnourished thin bearded dragons bowels carefully?
I dont know how old she is due to past owners not knowing but they said maybe 2 years. Shes super small though so i dont know. The heat gets to about 93.4 to 95°F and humidity is 30-35ish. I tried the 150W and the heat gets to 105°F which is amazing but then the humidity drops down to 10 and i tried using water bowls but nothing seems to help.
The UVB she’s using is an Arcadia T5 Tub 12% over screen top. She will get calcium on her food every other day.
I just rescued her yesterday but her diet will be: Mealworms, Waxworms and superworms (havent feed the waxworms or superworms to her yet) Greens/veggies: Mustard greens, cucumbers and yellow squash (i havent feed her the squash or mustard greens yet). Shes eating cucumbers for hydration and the mealsworms as for now.
Shes also not eating on her own so i have to carefully put the food in her mouth then she starts eating.
She has a vet visit today so ill update this afterwards.

Ill take any advice
I need help, thanks.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, i just rescued this severely neglected bearded dragon. She severely malnourished, underweight and shaky when she tries to move. As soon as i put her in a 20 gal quarantine enclosure she now wont move much but she keeps her head up and looks around. She always keeps her mouth open when in her enclosure and the basking spot isn’t that hot. She just sits there with her mouth open and wont ever close it much. Also, I feed her alot but she wont poop so im scared to feed her more even tho she needs it. Is there anyway to stim a malnourished thin bearded dragons bowels carefully?
I dont know how old she is due to past owners not knowing but they said maybe 2 years. Shes super small though so i dont know. The heat gets to about 93.4 to 95°F and humidity is 30-35ish. I tried the 150W and the heat gets to 105°F which is amazing but then the humidity drops down to 10 and i tried using water bowls but nothing seems to help.
The UVB she’s using is an Arcadia T5 Tub 12% over screen top. She will get calcium on her food every other day.
I just rescued her yesterday but her diet will be: Mealworms, Waxworms and superworms (havent feed the waxworms or superworms to her yet) Greens/veggies: Mustard greens, cucumbers and yellow squash (i havent feed her the squash or mustard greens yet). Shes eating cucumbers for hydration and the mealsworms as for now.
Shes also not eating on her own so i have to carefully put the food in her mouth then she starts eating.
She has a vet visit today so ill update this afterwards.

Ill take any advice
I need help, thanks.
Ok get the Arcadia unobstructed 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor- you need to get surface basking temps 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- no wax worms for now-- her diet needs to be slowly not all at once- dust the insects like crickets or dubias w/ the calcium D 3 you have a real good uvb- do this 2-3 times per week - feed the greens I will get a website posted for you -- NO enemas at the vet !!! Take a fecal.w/ you

Ethangauth

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok get the Arcadia unobstructed 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor- you need to get surface basking temps 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- no wax worms for now-- her diet needs to be slowly not all at once- dust the insects like crickets or dubias w/ the calcium D 3 you have a real good uvb- do this 2-3 times per week - feed the greens I will get a website posted for you -- NO enemas at the vet !!! Take a fecal.w/ you
Thank you for the info! She has extreme amount of pinworms so they put her on Panacur. Her dose is 0.05 and she weighs 141 grams, but im gonna call the vet tomorrow to see if we can increase that dose. Shes on critical care for now along with water soaked cucumbers for hydration (We also give water with syringe, but were scared she might aspirate) We also throw a few solid bugs into the mix but are deciding to stop that due to her becoming bloated (We think we are also overfeeding her). She also has a respiratory infection and we sent out a culture swab of her saliva to see what bacteria it is (Takes a week to get results back). Shes on a medication called Enrofloxacin for the RI for now, were hoping its targeting the right bacteria.

Latest posts