• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help! (poor appetite)

MsBrat01

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I have had a juvenile almost a month. Ate really well first 2 weeks and now not so much. Has only shed once. He is ruffly 9 inches tip of the tail to tip of the snout. I have given a variety, but stopped eating crickets, will not eat a dubia, and sometimes will also not even eat meal worm Salad. I am at a loss. Suggestions please, not sure what else to try

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So I have had a juvenile almost a month. Ate really well first 2 weeks and now not so much. Has only shed once. He is ruffly 9 inches tip of the tail to tip of the snout. I have given a variety, but stopped eating crickets, will not eat a dubia, and sometimes will also not even eat meal worm Salad. I am at a loss. Suggestions please, not sure what else to try
Please go over your uvb you have coil or long tube fixture-- surface basking temps and how your getting them - we will start there - these things I have asked about need to be on par-

MsBrat01

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please go over your uvb you have coil or long tube fixture-- surface basking temps and how your getting them - we will start there - these things I have asked about need to be on par-
Right now he has 2 uvb, one coil on glass and one long on top of the screen. The coil will be removed once we adapt the screen. Getting about 1/3rd of the recommend. Temp vary, but basking side is about 85* F and cool side is about 75. Using digital on the back of the glass. Humidity is currently 40. He is in a 40 gal thrive front open tank with carpet currently. He will have about 3 inches of sand with tunnels soon, as he likes to dig.

MsBrat01

Bearded Dragon Egg
Also why does he act sometimes like he is gasping for breath, or is making a puff with an open mouth normal?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Also why does he act sometimes like he is gasping for breath, or is making a puff with an open mouth normal?
The open mouth is normal gaping means hes adjusting his temp - the surface basking temps should be 95-100 w/ ambient on the hot side around 100 or so - hes not eating w/ that low of a basking temp his digestion is not getting started properly - please get the cool side of the tank up to 80ish during the day -- 75 at night is a good temp ---please get rid of the coil UVB its doing more harm than good - what is the brand of the long tube UVB your using and the bulb for a 40 gallon tank it needs to be a 10.0 T 5 - your screen will determine placement and distance for the UVB--- please get this adjusted as soon as you can - this too will effect his appetite and is imperative to his overall health

MsBrat01

Bearded Dragon Egg
The bulb is a 10.0 t5 set up. During the day, the temps are over 90, but I will do as suggested. He eats enough to deficate at least once daily. Just worried that he not grown much since the first week when he shed.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The bulb is a 10.0 t5 set up. During the day, the temps are over 90, but I will do as suggested. He eats enough to deficate at least once daily. Just worried that he not grown much since the first week when he shed.
The UVB needs to be placed for your screen --- if the screen is a fine mesh it needs to be unobstructed - NO screen - distance 12-15 inches - if you have a wide hole screen it can stay on top but distance would be 8-10 inches - so he is eating some - he could be going thru a slow down period they will do that --- but we want your temps and UVB on par -- that way we know it could be a slow down period -- has he been tested for parasites - another cause for not eating - is the poop real runny and stink so bad it makes you leave the room? you could have him tested NO enemas ---- take a fecal in to the vet for testing enemas can be deadly for a dragon --- dragons grow at different rates - do you hear any whizzing or any discharge from the nose or mouth? How is his activity --

MsBrat01

Bearded Dragon Egg
The UVB needs to be placed for your screen --- if the screen is a fine mesh it needs to be unobstructed - NO screen - distance 12-15 inches - if you have a wide hole screen it can stay on top but distance would be 8-10 inches - so he is eating some - he could be going thru a slow down period they will do that --- but we want your temps and UVB on par -- that way we know it could be a slow down period -- has he been tested for parasites - another cause for not eating - is the poop real runny and stink so bad it makes you leave the room? you could have him tested NO enemas ---- take a fecal in to the vet for testing enemas can be deadly for a dragon --- dragons grow at different rates - do you hear any whizzing or any discharge from the nose or mouth? How is his activity --
Poo is solid, nothing from mouth or nose. However while trying to feed him, he seemed to only see from one side, and the side he is not seeing on is watery. No he has not been checked for anything

conroy15

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would just take to your vet and have him checked over especially if you think hes having issues with his eye/eye sight. I agree with Sadie the temps and lights have to be just right. My vet recommended avoiding sand I know its common and every vet is different but she said can get into their respiratory tract and cause issues and if they eat can cause issues there.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Poo is solid, nothing from mouth or nose. However while trying to feed him, he seemed to only see from one side, and the side he is not seeing on is watery. No he has not been checked for anything
He may have sand in the eyes please get some regular saline solution NO contact lens stuff rinse his eye - see if that helps - if you decide for a vet visit here is a website that can help you find a good one
if your in a small town / area type in a bigger cities zip code closest to you
www.arav.org

MsBrat01

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey all, I wanted to post an update.

So his eye is much better after co stant cleaning. He seems to be able to see from it again. His head tilts to both sides when hunting.

His habitat is getting to about 95 during the day, as the temps in Illinois are also increasing. He is eating more as well. However, will only drink a lot when in his soak, so I am doing that a lot more now. His tail shed over the last two days, which it did not do when he shed before.

Thanks for your advice

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey all, I wanted to post an update.

So his eye is much better after co stant cleaning. He seems to be able to see from it again. His head tilts to both sides when hunting.

His habitat is getting to about 95 during the day, as the temps in Illinois are also increasing. He is eating more as well. However, will only drink a lot when in his soak, so I am doing that a lot more now. His tail shed over the last two days, which it did not do when he shed before.

Thanks for your advice
So the rinsing has cleared the eye up? I would recommend if your using sand to replace it w/ some textured non adhesive shelf liner or if your tank is a 4x2x2 zen habitats sells a black mat that fits the tank-- too many baths will dry his scales out you can offer water by dropping water on his nose - see if he will lick or a eye dropper will work - you can rinse his greens before serving as well

Latest posts