• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help please

dayle miles

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi there everyone

I am still struggling with everyone difference of opinion for what type substrate to us for a young bearded dragon !

I am getting a young 8-16 week old soon for my son for his birthday and would like to know the best to use for it and when and what age/time to swap to sand ??
It will be going straight into a 4 ft x 2ft X 18 inch tall vivarium !
With a basking area which is a cave in the corner which he will be able to climb onto via steps .
There are 2 x 100 watt spot bulbs over that area !!

We have a few log/ branches as well and a 36 inch uvb light will run across the length of the viv
10% uvb light !!
A heater for the night if temp goes to low .
All going to be set with timers and thermostats to control..

It's the floor coverage bit that I'm struggling with and need some help ????

Can I please have everyone's opinion and help !!

Kind regards Dayle

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
IMO paper towels or reptile carpet that you find in pet stores are both good choices. I use reptile carpet...spot clean after they poop and wash completely each week. I would also suggest you make absolutely sure everything is set up and temps are PERFECT before you bring it home. Young bd's are even more sensitive to temps than adults. Take the temps exactly where it's going to be....in other words dont just use one of those thermometers that hangs on the wall. Measure temps on both sides.

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'd also consider putting it in a smaller setup or deviding the one your going to put him in.

To much space at first isn't such a good thing. They can get stressed out and won't be able to get there food because of the large area they would need to cover to catch it.

I use paper towel or newspaper with my girl in her 20 gallon tank.

When I build her viv I'll be using either floor tiles or millet seed.

Good luck.

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
uploadfromtaptalk1390839580599.jpg

My girl Jade and her simple setup.

uploadfromtaptalk1390839624359.jpg

Rough idea on her size. And she won't be going into a bigger viv for I'd say another 3 months or so. Depending on here growth rate.

Latest posts