• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HELP PLEASE!

BeardedLadii

Bearded Dragon Egg
Me and my hubbs just adopted a new beardie yesterday. We have two already (One IslandCitrus Leatherback & one pygmy) Well we adopted her from pet-co because she was missing her tail and looked very emaciated (deathly skinny/starving) as well. Her hind quarters and base of the tail are greenish in color. She is black. She also won't eat (she has had 1 cricket in 2 days) even tried feeding a headless cricket on her nose. Sleeps all day hasn't moved we have had to manually put her in the basking area and move her. Shell rarely drink the droplets of water from the mist. Lets the crickets and roaches climb all over her. And neoprene(sic) on her tail.

Set- Up

We have 40 gallon tanks.
So we put our adopted one who is about 2 months old in with our pygmy. No bullying going on.

Each tank:

Reptile Carpet.
Basking area 103F.
UVB 10W.
Basking rock and bridge. Tree.
Two water bowls.
Two feeding bowls.
2 Lights (UVB and UVA) are on for 14 hours off for 10
1 basking infared kept on 24/7
Household humidity roughly 20-30%

Diet:

Veggies.
They have a diet of self bred dubia roaches and store bought crickets until our crickets populate (that's how we crossed our new addition)
Mist 2-3x daily.

I don't wanna hear anything about her being unhealthy, dying, or sick... pretty much common sense she's not doing well... Vet at Pet-Co "claimed" she was in "perfect" health. We cannot take her into another vet until Monday. Hoping someone can give me some advice on how to save her we feel it's almost to late but there might be something we can do.

cody

Hatchling Dragon
I'm no expert but I think you guys are doing everything you can. Maybe you can try a bath to help his tail/hydration. hope he makes it. Someone with more knowledge should post soon

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good for you for trying to help this little guy! I would recommend popping the basking temp up to 110 or 115 - this may be too high for your pygmy but babies need a bit more. I would also recommend not using the infrared – the minimal amount of light that it does emit – they can see and it will disrupt their sleep cycle. If the viv gets below 65° F at night it would be better to use a CHE ( ceramic heat emitter) bulb which does not produce light. Regarding food: try some baby food or pureed vegetables. Sweet potatoes and carrots are good – they got a bit of sugar so they like the flavour. You may need to use a little syringe and put little dabs in the corner of his mouth. You can try that with water too – sweeten it with a few drops of agave syrup. Be careful to not put the syringe in the mouth just the tip of the syringe in the corner of the mouth. He's got to learn to trust you. Good luck – please keep us posted

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I agree with Canicke, bump the baking temp up. The one thing I am concerned about though is you put a possibly sick beardie in with another healthy one. If it has parasites or a fungal infection, he will pass it on to the other one.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good point Patsy – I totally missed that!

BeardedLadii

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you for real advice. We tried letting her eat squash but she just laid in it so were gonna try the syringe food. We did try to put her in the bath but shes so weak we had to hold her head up. Im definitely telling Petco about themselves today. We can raise the heat to 110 but ive never been able to make it higher any advice on that one. As far as putti g the two together i never assumed she was contagious sick i assumed it was from the injury shes sustained nd believing a vet that gets paid to lie was probably the worse mistake weve made. We will be moving her today. Ive also read something about pedialite (sic) does anybody know anything about it? I need her to make it til monday to see a REAL vet and then hopefully well shake her back to live her whole life in amazing health nd happiness! I appreciate everyones advice hopefully the beardie community can give her enough emotional support to pull through =)

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Pedialyte is an electrolyte replacement formula for kids (pediatric patients) - totally wouldnt hurt ! Prayers for you ---

BeardedLadii

Bearded Dragon Egg
Do i syringe the pedialyte or give her a bath in it?.. she wont even lick the squash off her face and idk if we can force open her mouth for a drop of food. =(. Waiting for a call back from petco im livid. Attaching pictures for yall.=(

Attachments

• 14353468402081114332271.jpg
    14353468402081114332271.jpg
    475.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 1435346865324-1768021190.jpg
    1435346865324-1768021190.jpg
    564.8 KB · Views: 20

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
oooh - poor little baby ! actually pry his little lips apart - it's easier on the side of the mouth - and pretend just put a dab on the inside of the cheek. he doesnt have to open his jaw - just the lips. Bathing him in the pedialyte is a waste of pedialyte - they DO NOT absorb water / nutrients through their vent - popular myth. again - open the lips on the side of the jaw and just try drops

BeardedLadii

Bearded Dragon Egg
I wanna thank all of yall for yalls support but Brimstone passed about 10 minutes ago. =(. We tried thank all of yall. Now its between us nd petco how the hell are they gonna sell any animal barely holding on. They have the means to nurse this guy back to life and they gave up on him. Again i wanna thank yall for yall support.

cody

Hatchling Dragon
Sorry to hear that. Atleast you were prepared for it I guess.. I got my beardie at petsmart, but I think we all know big box stores isn't the best place to get them considering I knew more than most of the staff after a night on research on my own. I picked the most healthy looking one. Tho I thank you for trying to save him/her

Latest posts