• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help please!

ccook94

Juvenile Dragon
This morning my baby beardie may have hurt his right front arm and I can't decide if he needs to go to the vet or not! I put an empty toilet paper roll in his enclosure yesterday thinking he might crawl through it. This morning he jumped on it, and when he jumped off he was shaking his hand and went in his cave. I got him out a little while ago and he wasn't wanting to put much weight on it, and he was lifting it up higher than normal. He's also shedding some, and I'm not sure if that might have anything to do with it or not.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Have you tried touching his foot and leg? Does he flinch when you touch it? Does anything look swollen? If so then you should take him to the vet. He may have dislocated his leg or broken a toe.Seems like a short fall from a toilet paper roll shouldn't hurt him. Did you check his nails? Maybe he snagged one on something.

ccook94

Juvenile Dragon
He also fell from the couch arm the other day but was perfectly fine. I thought maybe the tube rolled when he jumped and made him land on it wrong maybe

ccook94

Juvenile Dragon
It's not swollen, he's not flinching when I squeeze it, and none of his nails look broke orr anything

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Hmm so weird, is he still favoring it today? What about the leg itself where it attaches to his body, is there mobility there? Someone a few months back had a beardie with a dislocated leg and it was keeping it close to its body and not putting weight on it.

He also could be be playing the hurt victim to get some attention, LOL!

ccook94

Juvenile Dragon
I checked and moved it and he let me do it, it moved as much as the other one. I dont think he's playing to get attention, he was really shaking his hand when he jumped off. He's moving it around ok I think, just sore probably.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Could be just sore. Keep an eye on him though. If anything changes a visit to the vet would be wise.

ccook94

Juvenile Dragon
Ya. My dad doesn't believe that a vet could do much. He thinks its a "disposable pet" which really annoys me. Yeah, he's not a special molt or anything, but I wanted to make sure I get it right before I get something that special. I bought him intending to keep him til he's old.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Ugh, I'm too tired to rant about the whole parents and "disposable pets". I hope you are saving your money just in case you need to take him to the vet.

Just because he isn't a special morph doesn't make him less special :)

ccook94

Juvenile Dragon
He's so comfortable with me, when I started researching bearded dragons, I never even thought about it being a "disposable pet" I dont consider anything a "disposable pet". I'm trying work to my dad, he asked about his leg today.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Hopefully your dad comes around. When I first started with my frogs and lizards I had a frog that got real sick. I struggled with the whole "disposable pet" thing. Everyone around me was telling me "it's just a frog" but I LOVED it, it wasn't just a frog to me. She had a personality, how could she be disposable?I then realized that she is a living breathing creature that I CHOSE to take care of, she didn't choose me. I took her in so it was my responsibility to give her the best life possible. So I got her to a vet. She eventually ended up dying but I was glad I didn't listen to the people around me.

When I got her to the vet we had a discussion about the whole disposable thing and they told me this story about this guy that had some sort of ciclid, I think a tiger oscar. The man played the guitar for the fish. Well the fish kept getting this tumor on it's head and the man would bring the FISH in to have the tumor removed! That's love!

ccook94

Juvenile Dragon
Ya not too long ago, someone took a goldfish to a vet because it had a tumor, and they did surgery on it! Thats devotion to pay for surgery on a goldfish.

Mushuandcricket

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I can understand the ciclid going to the vet. I had one I was so attached to her I never realized fish had personality until I got her. I hope your little guy is ok.

Latest posts