• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HELP PLEASE

sara

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
If this needs to be moved please move it but I need help and being new,don't know exactly where to put it. To start with,I have 2 beardies that are pretty healthy and I have done my best to care for them. Today I went to my local pet store to pick up crickets and was asked to bring home a TINY baby beardie to see if I could get it to grow. They have had this beardie since the first part of October and the tiny little thing hasn't grown any.It's about 3 inches long and in a 10-15 gal tank(gonna see if I can borrow a larger tank.) A few weeks ago one of the girls that works at the pet store grabbed me when I walked in and asked me to look at the dragon. It's feet had swollen until it's toes had started to point upwards other than that it seems very healthy,I was told that it eats well and it moves good. (it had no UVB and at my suggestion they put a reptisun2 on it,I know not strong enough) What I am asking is this.......I am gonna try to borrow a larger tank and use my extra reptisun 10,feed crickets(dusted with calcium and vitamins like I do my own dragons,bathe,etc........is there anything else I can do for it to help it.......(I was told that if I didn't bring it home one of the workers would have to take it or it would die,if they're working how can they work with it?) Help if you can please and thank you in advance.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This poor little guy is having a rough go at life. It is great you are going to take him under your wing. Are his feet still swollen? That is not good.

You may want to consider a vet visit. I'm not a vet and can't diagnose without seeing your beardie, but it could possibly be gout or metabolic bone disease.

Michele654

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Wow I'll let the pros answer this one. But they may need more information. What was the condition they kept him in at the pet store? Did they have all the proper lights and heating levels? IF so what where they set at? Where did this little guys come from,a breeder or private? How old is he/she? Could there be signs of dwarfism? Is it possible to take photos of him? I'm sure someone will assist you in this matter? But congrats to you for taking him on. Wish I could be of more help!

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
swollen limbs can be a thiroid problem, I could be way off.
Shoot gina a pm. Ill check in when I get home from work tonight.

sara

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I will post a picture shortly. I have emailed Gina already,thanks for that Tom. This is what I know:
Unknown breeder,this is a baby the pet store had and they want me to try to help him(not bragging but this is what I was asked: Will you please take this little guy and help him,your dragons are so beautiful and healthy looking. We trust your opinion and help." First let me say this,both of my dragons I bought from ladyknite,they were healthy when I bought them and I have done my best to keep them that way through advice from Gina and the other beardie site I visit,and now I have this site as well,Thanks Janie for inviting me to join.
2nd,until 2 weeks ago he had NO UVB what so ever and then they only used a reptisun 2.0,and temps were not right,I believe the girl from the store said hot temps were like 85 and I told her that wasn't enough..........I am trying to reach a friend of mine that does animal rescues,he has several bigger tank that he may let me use one for right now. If I can get this little guy started right,I have to take him back to the pet store (I was even told by the pet store owner that she was afraid someone would buy him and kill him because he's not in good health right now) All I can do is try right?
3rd,his feeding schedule hasn't been right either,crickets one or 2 days a week,baby meal worms,someitmes and some days just salad,so I have my work cut out for me. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I can help his little dragon.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Gosh, it may be hard giving him back to a place that didn't take proper care of the little guy to begin with. But that is besides the point.

Good luck and keep us posted on how things are going.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sara.. get the right UVB, and temps... we'll work on the rest once we have a photo... just send it to my email.
Oh? You're welcome for the invite... figured you needed a cool place to chill out ... lol
Janie

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Please keep us updated. Feel free to post pics on the forum. We can all learn from each others experiences and if we take some of the info behind the scenes in email, we can loose track of progress, etc.

Thanks!

sara

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Here is a picture of whom my husband affectionately named Tom Thumb(he's a little longer than my husbands thumb.I took a picture of little Tom laying on my hubby(Mark's) tummy last night,Mark had placed Tom on his tummy and then placed his thumb next to Tom............very tiny dragon.
017.jpg

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yup.. Tiny indeed. uvb, heat.. and rooooaches ;)...
still working on this more for you, love.
Janie

sara

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks Janie!! I have a reptisun 10.0(bought an extra in my last order) waiting on Tom,I am going to pick up a bigger tank as soon as my friend opens his shop. When I get this tank(app 30 gal,yes I know it's not big enough for a permanent home) I will at least be able to get the proper temp. gradients and have some where to mount the reptisun(it's a 24 inch).Hopefully,with a little love,UVB,correct temps,etc........I can help this little fella grow.I am afraid that he has MBD though,his feet and legs(joints particularly) are swollen and he seems like he has a knot on his tail(raised area where his tail begins and back ends).Please keep your fingers crossed that I can do something to help him.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
His toes aren't turned up, and that is normally the first sign of MBD. I'm really thinking he just needs the tlc and he will turn around...
Janie
Does he appear to be in pain at all ? If so, then add mint to his diet.. that has a pain relief property to it, and you can't od with mint ;)

sara

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
So far he doesn't seem to be in pain. He seems to love attention,he closed his eyes in his bath yesterday as if it felt good and went to sleep in my hand last night. I am trying not to get attached as I have to return him to the pet store when he gets better and grows a little. I can't wait to get the bigger tank this morning and get temps set up and the reptisun 10 on him. I have seen the difference a good UVB can do,when it gets time to change Alfs UVB she gets a little lazy and doesn't seem to eat as much,but when I put a new UVB bulb in WOW..........She starts eating better and all. I hope the UVB,correct temps ,a good diet and a little TLC can help this little dragon.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Let's just go with that for now.. if any changes.. you know where to find me ;)
Janie

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just a thought. If you are trying to get this baby to grow, you may want to consider looking around for a larger tank than 30 gal. Even babies need larger ones to grow.

Is he eating for you?

sara

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
He is eating a little,a few dusted crickets and some salad.I am borrowing a tank and a 30 gal. is the biggest I can get right now.I really can't afford to buy a tank and then return him to the pet store and all they gave me was his 10 gal...........it's bigger than what he had,they had him in a 5 gal to start with,so 30 gal is much bigger.If he was mine he would have a bigger tank,as I would have prepared before I brought him home.He was kinda thrown at me when I went to get crickets.......

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That's good news that he is eating. We're routing for the little guy!

sara

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Just a quick update. I didn't get the bigger tank yesterday because it wasn't cleaned out,so I set the reptisun 10 bulb on top of the 10 gal. Last night when i got him out for a few minutes for what we call loving and getting ready for bed time,he was the most active that I have ever seen him. He climbed all over my shirt 2 or 3 times and then crawled to a corner of my shirt and went to sleep,hopefully things will get even better today. If I don't get snowed in I'm going to get more crickets and maybe some waxies for treats,I have supers,but need crickets.We are expecting major snow here starting sometime today all through the weekend.

Latest posts