• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HELP! Please! (Lighting, Heat)

cactusflower801

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello! I just purchased a baby bearded dragon. I decided to buy my new dragon’s enclosure second hand. I found what looked like an amazing set up for a wonderful price. However I ran into some problems. Nothing I couldn’t fix tho! The day time lamp gave off a burning smell and I decided I didn’t even want to tango with that so I ran out and bought a new one. The night time lamp was working we just turned it on to see if it worked but then I went to turn it on a second time and it was burned out I was going to try the bulb in my new thrive 8.5 inch deep dome lamp but I got chicken because if something is wrong with the bulb and it breaks the new lamp I won’t have anyway to get my cutie any heat. I currently have the thrive daytime heat 100 watt bulb in. Does anybody have any recommendations. What else do I need in the tank to make it warmer or what else can I get to make it warmer? Do I need different lighting? Next problem I had was the lid on the cage stopped staying closed. I was panicking. But there were these springs that were being used to hold the old lights in place my sister was so smart. I would’ve never thought of this. She took the springs and made it clip closed! Perfect solution. But I’m still worried about my new baby. The light doesn’t seem to be giving off enough heat.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello! I just purchased a baby bearded dragon. I decided to buy my new dragon’s enclosure second hand. I found what looked like an amazing set up for a wonderful price. However I ran into some problems. Nothing I couldn’t fix tho! The day time lamp gave off a burning smell and I decided I didn’t even want to tango with that so I ran out and bought a new one. The night time lamp was working we just turned it on to see if it worked but then I went to turn it on a second time and it was burned out I was going to try the bulb in my new thrive 8.5 inch deep dome lamp but I got chicken because if something is wrong with the bulb and it breaks the new lamp I won’t have anyway to get my cutie any heat. I currently have the thrive daytime heat 100 watt bulb in. Does anybody have any recommendations. What else do I need in the tank to make it warmer or what else can I get to make it warmer? Do I need different lighting? Next problem I had was the lid on the cage stopped staying closed. I was panicking. But there were these springs that were being used to hold the old lights in place my sister was so smart. I would’ve never thought of this. She took the springs and made it clip closed! Perfect solution. But I’m still worried about my new baby. The light doesn’t seem to be giving off enough heat.
Ok Thrive domes are not very good -- anything Thrive is not of good quality except maybe the decor pieces -- you want surface basking temps of 105-110 take w/ a digital probe thermometer those are a MUST -- ambient temp around 100 on the hot side cool side 80ish during the day NO heat at night or light unless your temps are falling below 65 -- temps usually adjust to house temps at night
2 of these https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...mometer-14914.html?cgid=500202&fmethod=Browse
Next your temps are going to be trial and error w/ wattage of bulbs - is the tank a 40 gallon? Start w/ a 100 watt - Exo Terra Intense they are spendy also Flukers Basking or a Arcadia Halogen bulb - but you must have the probe thermometers -place the probe on the spot where he sits to bask get temp around 10 min or so - NO colored bulbs they will damage the eyes NO off white or yellowish or Daytime bulbs you want a clear solid bright white bulb - he needs the UVA from the white bulb -- next and absolute MUST is a good UVB NO coils they are inadequate for UVB and will cause all kinds of health problems this one you can find at Pet Smart and is a good UVB one of the ones recommended you want the 12% bulb 24 watt https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...v-b-kit-65058.html?cgid=500202&fmethod=Browse
If you need me to post the other two UVB's that are recommended let me know and I will
Your screen on the tank is going to determine where the UVB needs to go --- fine screens will block 30% of the UVB rays so it will need to go inside the tank or take the screen off - wide hole types the fixture can stay on top but distance will be different from NO screen --- please post a pic of the tank and screen I can help you

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum and the hobby! Make sure you grab a thermometer asap!

Latest posts