• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HELP! Overrun with Dubai Roaches.

Kpontius

Hatchling Dragon
Last summer I switched my Bud over from rickets to roaches(couldn’t take the smell). I went to a reptile show and bought 100. Well Bud went crazy over them so the following month I went back and again bought 100. And then in August I thought better get some more for the upcoming months. I always asked for medium males because I didn’t want to have a colony.
Well fast forward to present day. Bud eats maybe 2 roaches a few times a week. He rather have his greens! But I had put the roaches in a 40 gal tank with egg crates and at night a heat lamp. I have baby roaches like crazy! I will admit they eat well (roach chow+whatever greens and veg Bud eats) And my medium’s are large and x-large now.
How in the world do I thin them out? I have been buying the calcium water crystals and that is getting hard to find plus the cost.
Never thought I would need a lesson on the birds and bees but guess I do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Lol, sound like you need to thin out the adults. You could alway try selling some on craigslist or somesuch, there may be a reptile owner near you that will pay good money for them. I shudder when I think of all the £ I spent on dubias when my 2 beardies were babies, who would have thought cockroaches would be such a valuable commodity.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
BTW, if you lower the temperature by turning off the heat lamp, they will stop breeding and growth should slow down a bit. Would give you time to get throught them maybe. If your beardie doesnt eat so many of them now ,is it worth keeping a colony? you could just order a few online as needed

Kpontius

Hatchling Dragon
BTW, if you lower the temperature by turning off the heat lamp, they will stop breeding and growth should slow down a bit. Would give you time to get throught them maybe. If your beardie doesnt eat so many of them now ,is it worth keeping a colony? you could just order a few online as needed
Thanks. I didn’t know I was helping them multiply with the light! They sure don’t die off like crickets.

Kpontius

Hatchling Dragon
Lol, sound like you need to thin out the adults. You could alway try selling some on craigslist or somesuch, there may be a reptile owner near you that will pay good money for them. I shudder when I think of all the £ I spent on dubias when my 2 beardies were babies, who would have thought cockroaches would be such a valuable commodity.
I can’t believe how I ended up caring about roaches!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh yes the issue happens to many of us.. lol
I have a breeder tank, I have an all female tank, all male tank then all the nymphs this way I know who is breeding, I also lower the temps to slow them down..
I sell on Craigslist when I have an over population..

AngelDeVille

Hatchling Dragon
I need to research their care better, I have less than 50 in an animal cracker jar.

I need to figure out my weekly needs. Crickets are too annoying to maintain a colony.

Kpontius

Hatchling Dragon
I need to research their care better, I have less than 50 in an animal cracker jar.

I need to figure out my weekly needs. Crickets are too annoying to maintain a colony.
Yes research because like I said I thought I did it right by buying all males! And boy to they grow very large! I don’t even know which ones are the ones giving birth. How does one tell?

Latest posts