• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help needed.

Maximus

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello everybody. My name is Rachael. My dragon is named Maximus, Max for short. Max is about five months old. We have enjoyed getting to know the little fellow. He is full of character. As we make this journey together, he is patient as I work out the kinks. Maximus enjoys live crickets and mustard greens. He doesnt like collard greens, I had to eat those. Lol.

We have him housed in a glass enclosure. Approximately 29 x 12 x 12. We do have a reptile carpet in there for him and not the sand the kit had. I have a 75w basking bulb with reflection lamp. However, I am having trouble getting and keeping his tempertures in a good range. I have a digital thermometer. I don't know where to place it in the tank for a good accurate reading or where it is not in the way. I am getting a little frustrated as I know in a few months he needs a bigger terrarium, but if I can't control temperature in a small area how will I in the larger enclosure. He seems to be doing okay, but I am sure he will be happy when I get it more constant. I have been reading and reading but can't figure it out. Please help.
uploadfromtaptalk1392868491067.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1392868504115.jpg

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
The probe should be right where they like to bask. It may seem in the way but they will just lay on it.

roberts_dragonlady

Bearded Dragon Egg
Mine just lays on the probe haha shes the cutest thing, I use a 100 watt household light and it gets her 30x12x12 to 105, if I don't put the probe right where she lays to bask, the temp won't be right, I let my probe sit on the basking spot until the temperatures stay in one temp..

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
OPut your temp prob at the top of your basking area. I think basking areas should be about 8-10 inches from fixture and place the prob at highest point on basking sight. I personally say this because you don't want your beardies to get into a area hotter than 115 degree. So let's say u have a log on your basking sight within 4 inches of the fixture. And your prob is at the bottom of the log. Your readings at the bottom maybe 105 so you think perfect...... But your beardie climbs to the top of the log and your temps up there are 140(exaggeration) can burn him.

So IMO you want your prob at the highest point of basking area and that temp no hotter than 115. That way you K of the rest is safe.

For example.

uploadfromtaptalk1392910542724.jpg

This is me boy Jades enclosure. At the top of that rock it gets to 105. Where you see him sitting it's 113. I have my prob on the glass to the right of the rock level with the top and temps there are 95. And at the bottom of the rock 90. And cool side of tank is 85. And my humidity is 12%.

So temps can change a lot in a very small area as u can see.

Hope this helps and makes sense.

*all posts are of my opinion and what I've learned over the years*

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
All great info! I would only add that I think your concern that, if you can't maintain a proper temp in a smaller tank, how can you hope to maintain it in a larger one, is unfounded. Sometimes it's HARDER to maintain a proper environment in a smaller tank. Also, GREAT JOB not using the sand that you said your kit came with! Reptile carpet, at his age, is much more appropriate :)

Maximus

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks everyone. I moved the prob and getting much better readings. He doesn't like the prob much. So it was funny watching him try to determine if was friend or foe. Also, thanks for the tip on distances from the light to log. I was wondering if i had correct.

Latest posts