• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help needed with lighting distances.

DragonFrenchy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello everyone,

I just got my first ever 2 bearded dragons this month and need help with lighting distances in both terrariums. I know the terrarium look empty for now it's in working progress and all the plastic plant I got are a no go since both my dragons try to eat them. lol.

First tank:
I have an adult rescue male in a Vivexotic Viva Vivarium, 45" x 19" x 17" with a 42 inch reptiGlow 10. I now know its not the best so I will change it once that tube run out but for now.

1st question:
I wonder if the UVB is fare enough from my dragon? Should I move the UVB toward the front of the terrarium? Or remove the basking rock and block the higher shelf until I change the lighting system? He is real close to the UVB I worried it might be bad for his eyes?
101028-7690277551_large.jpg

Second tank.
I am about to set up and move my 11 weeks old girl from a 25 gallons to her own Vivexotic Viva Vivarium, 45" x 19" x 17". I got a ReptiSun 10 T5 34inch and a sunblaster NanoTech reflector for her.

2nd question: I can't get the light any farther than 12" from the basking area she may even be 11 inch away at some point. Should I removed the reflector from the sunblaster nanotech to lower the intensity? I believe 12" is the minimum so I can't put the UVB in closer from the basking area correct?
101028-7610278902_large.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The UVB should really be overhead with nothing blocking it. The strongest UVB rays go straight down. Once you start going sideways from the light, you aren't getting the proper coverage. As long as the dragon can't sit and stare forward into the UVB light, it's good. I'm not too familiar with the Nanao Sun Blaster. As long as there is a basking spot of 98-105 then it should be fine how it's placed if you are also using the tube UVB bulb.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The UVB should really be overhead with nothing blocking it. The strongest UVB rays go straight down. Once you start going sideways from the light, you aren't getting the proper coverage. As long as the dragon can't sit and stare forward into the UVB light, it's good. I'm not too familiar with the Nanao Sun Blaster. As long as there is a basking spot of 98-105 then it should be fine how it's placed if you are also using the tube UVB bulb.
And to add to what Patsy said when you start going sideways it can hurt their eyes as they have those ridges that are over their eyes to protect them from the sun..

KatKuMo

Hatchling Dragon
How crucial is it to have the UVB directly overhead? My dragon tends to bask in such a way that his UVB light is behind him, and that's his choice, probably due to the eyelid protection like you all describe. I have a 40 gal tank with the top as the hinged lid, and there wasn't a way to mount the UVB on the lid very well, so I went with the top of the long side. I guess with luck there, his basking area under his heat lamp (which rests on top of the lid's screen) is a sloped branch... and he sits on that with his back to all the lights. In nature, the sun rises and sets at angles, so maybe the dragons have a tendency to keep their backs to it, I dunno. My current tank is the initial one that I bought, I'm just reading along before I make any major changes. If my thinking is flawed, though, please feel free to correct me, I'm here to learn :)

DragonFrenchy

Bearded Dragon Egg
I endup putting the UVB on the front of the tank like on the second picture since it was too long to fit in the middle. It seem fine both of my dragon bask and poop regularly and my little Heidi is growing sooo fast. Too fast really i miss her being tiny. ;)

Latest posts