1. Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum Chat' started by Kaitlynnevaeh, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Kaitlynnevaeh

Kaitlynnevaeh Bearded Dragon Egg

My bearded dragon is about 6 or 7 months old and we’ve had this problem before with him not eating but he’s never gotten skinny. I try to give him roaches greens fruits all of it and he just stares at me. His temperature and everything in his cage is fine. We have another bearded dragon that’s in a separate cage and he’s eating just fine! I need help in why he’s not eating. I don’t want him to die.
  2. kaylynangel

kaylynangel Bearded Dragon Veteran 1,000+ Post Club

Please post pics of tank and lighting --- something is off in that tank and I am guessing its the UVB--- what are his basking temps and how are you taking them ? infrared heat gun ? stick ons ? or digital probe? Is he active or lethargic? What are you using for a UVB? coil or a tube fixture?
  3. Kaitlynnevaeh

Kaitlynnevaeh Bearded Dragon Egg

He’s very active he just won’t eat! I don’t have pictures of my tank at the moment but I will get them as soon as I can. I’m not at home right now. There is a thermometer on the back of his tank that we use. Should I get like one of the temp guns that you shoot and it tells you the temp? The UVB is the one that came with the ZooMed tank the 40 gallon.
  4. kaylynangel

kaylynangel Bearded Dragon Veteran 1,000+ Post Club

If the UVB is a COIL bulb get rid of it ----- now is about the time the coil starts causing issues ---- you are going to need this for a UVB------ cannot stress this enough
    Which UVB light should I use?

The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 12-15 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- do not get a fixture the same length of tank --- for a 40 gallon I recommend the 24" fixture and it has to have a reflector on it --- do not buy a fixture from a home improvement store!!!!!!!!!!!! You need accurate basking temps of 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer from Pet Smart or Petco for $5 and I would recommend a infrared heat gun from your local home improvement store for around $10-12 --- a good investment ---- get this taken care of ASAP --- the UVB is going to be spendy ---- you can look at your local Petsmart or Petco --- just remember to get a fixture w/ a reflector ------ I was on line looking today and I see Petsmart is carrying fixtures Thrive ones and from what it looks like they dont have reflectors in them ----