• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

help me please - im just setting up my fist viv and need some advice !

dextersdragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi there i am just setting up my first viv as i am getting a beadie.

The beardie is 12 weeks old. How far away from the floor should the basking bulb be? and how far away from the light should the sensor be for the habistat.

should the cave i have bought bought be at the cool or warm end or should i have one in both ? thanks alot

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
really its not the distance from the heat light that matters, its the temperatures you get with them...honestly the thermostat isnt needed...and a digitial thermometer with a probe or an infrared temp gun is needed to accurately measure temps...your UVB tube light however should be 4-6 inches from the dragon for optimal exposure...if u are using an MVB bulb it should be about 12 inches away from the dragon and the cave should be kept at the cooler end but with the dragon being so young i would hesitate to use it just yet...younger dragons have a tendency to hide more than bask especially when they r new to their home

BeardedBob

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Can't some of the newer UVB tubes provide necessary exposure at 12" inches now? The ZooMed bulb claims 20" but recommends for best performance 12". Just checking because I don't have an elevated basking area (well slightly elevated but not 4-6" away, more like 8-10")

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
BeardedBob said:
Can't some of the newer UVB tubes provide necessary exposure at 12" inches now? The ZooMed bulb claims 20" but recommends for best performance 12". Just checking because I don't have an elevated basking area (well slightly elevated but not 4-6" away, more like 8-10")
unfortunately you cant go by whats on the box...the only UVB bulbs that can give UVB from that distance would be an MVB bulb like the trex active uv or a megaray

Latest posts