• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help..is it possible my lil guy is depressed??

Mummabeardy

Juvenile Dragon
Hi everyone! I got Mikey my beardie as a hatchling in March. He has been awesome! I have my original 40g setup that I will soon be upgrading as Mikey is growing like a weed! He will be 1 in Feb. He is a great eater..loves supers, wax worms, dubias, and now thanks to info here..black fly larvae things! And loves his veggies..his favorite being broccoli and kale! Hot new UVA basking white light about a month ago (150watt) and updating uvb tomorrow to t5. Needless to say he is spoiled..runs around at least 1x daily or every other and lots of attention as he's in tank in my living room. But I work full-time during the wk and am gone about 8hrs. I put the TV on for him and he literally watches animal planet! At night I give him attention and play/cuddle him but he's been kinda grumpy..won't come out from under his hammock and when I talk to him closes his eyes and knocks his food bowls over when I'm gone. But on wkends when I'm home or today when I'm off he's fine! Comes out..happy, eats, plays..I take him out and talk to him all day! Could he be angry I'm gone all day?? I don't want him depressed? Is this even possible? Pls help me to help Mikey and sorry this is so long but I know you need background and husbandry/lighting info! Thx in advance!! :)

Mummabeardy

Juvenile Dragon
Oh and temps are between 95-100 with digital probe thermometer. Humidity typically 40. Nothing has changed!

Wolfgirl97578

Juvenile Dragon
Hi everyone! I got Mikey my beardie as a hatchling in March. He has been awesome! I have my original 40g setup that I will soon be upgrading as Mikey is growing like a weed! He will be 1 in Feb. He is a great eater..loves supers, wax worms, dubias, and now thanks to info here..black fly larvae things! And loves his veggies..his favorite being broccoli and kale! Hot new UVA basking white light about a month ago (150watt) and updating uvb tomorrow to t5. Needless to say he is spoiled..runs around at least 1x daily or every other and lots of attention as he's in tank in my living room. But I work full-time during the wk and am gone about 8hrs. I put the TV on for him and he literally watches animal planet! At night I give him attention and play/cuddle him but he's been kinda grumpy..won't come out from under his hammock and when I talk to him closes his eyes and knocks his food bowls over when I'm gone. But on wkends when I'm home or today when I'm off he's fine! Comes out..happy, eats, plays..I take him out and talk to him all day! Could he be angry I'm gone all day?? I don't want him depressed? Is this even possible? Pls help me to help Mikey and sorry this is so long but I know you need background and husbandry/lighting info! Thx in advance!! :)
Is he still eating the same? And what are the Temps for the middle and low side?

Mummabeardy

Juvenile Dragon
Is he still eating the same? And what are the Temps for the middle and low side?
He's slowing down slightly on eating. He isn't a fan of crickets..stopped when he was around 3mo loves his worms,dubias, and now blk fly larvae. But some days he knocks his food dish over and "tosses out" what he doesn't want! So few days really picky and others eats everything in site! Temps in middle and cool end I'm not sure..I have a coil uvb which reading here is wrong! I ordered t5 thats arriving tomorrow. But I had no idea! Petsmart really does give all wrong info..I feel terrible!! All these months I assumed my setup was good since I got whole setup kit together from pet store! So I replaced uva last month and soon as I found out about uvb ordered correct one! So should I put thermometer on cool end..its just basic one set up came with? I got digital probe one last month wen I got uva and put in basking spot..always reads between 96-100. Mikey is just about 9 mo old. Oh God I hope I haven't hurt him in anyway!!

Mummabeardy

Juvenile Dragon
But like I had said he's fine when ever I'm home..its very bizarre! Thats why I'm thinking could he be mad or depressed he's alone all day??

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh and temps are between 95-100 with digital probe thermometer. Humidity typically 40. Nothing has changed!
What kind of UVB and the basking temps are they being taken w/ a digital probe thermometer?

Wolfgirl97578

Juvenile Dragon
But like I had said he's fine when ever I'm home..its very bizarre! Thats why I'm thinking could he be mad or depressed he's alone all day??
He's slowing down slightly on eating. He isn't a fan of crickets..stopped when he was around 3mo loves his worms,dubias, and now blk fly larvae. But some days he knocks his food dish over and "tosses out" what he doesn't want! So few days really picky and others eats everything in site! Temps in middle and cool end I'm not sure..I have a coil uvb which reading here is wrong! I ordered t5 thats arriving tomorrow. But I had no idea! Petsmart really does give all wrong info..I feel terrible!! All these months I assumed my setup was good since I got whole setup kit together from pet store! So I replaced uva last month and soon as I found out about uvb ordered correct one! So should I put thermometer on cool end..its just basic one set up came with? I got digital probe one last month wen I got uva and put in basking spot..always reads between 96-100. Mikey is just about 9 mo old. Oh God I hope I haven't hurt him in

He's slowing down slightly on eating. He isn't a fan of crickets..stopped when he was around 3mo loves his worms,dubias, and now blk fly larvae. But some days he knocks his food dish over and "tosses out" what he doesn't want! So few days really picky and others eats everything in site! Temps in middle and cool end I'm not sure..I have a coil uvb which reading here is wrong! I ordered t5 thats arriving tomorrow. But I had no idea! Petsmart really does give all wrong info..I feel terrible!! All these months I assumed my setup was good since I got whole setup kit together from pet store! So I replaced uva last month and soon as I found out about uvb ordered correct one! So should I put thermometer on cool end..its just basic one set up came with? I got digital probe one last month wen I got uva and put in basking spot..always reads between 96-100. Mikey is just about 9 mo old. Oh God I hope I haven't hurt him in anyway!!
Definitely change the coils and it seems your basking side looks good do you check with the digital For temps or the stick on one's? And his cool side If I'm not mistaken should be around 80 I know from experience if my basking gets way to hot my beardies will climb down and hide and how much do you let him out of the tank?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Please post when your T 5 comes I will help you get it set up in your tank screen will play role and distance is crucial

Tina W.

Hatchling Dragon
He's probably bored. Sounds like everything else is fine. Try moving some stuff around in his enclosure and maybe try some toys. When you're home teach him to play with a ball and then leave it in his tank when you're at work. There are balls that you can put worms in and he has to roll it around to get them out. I work also and trying to teach the ball thing. Hope this helps.

Mummabeardy

Juvenile Dragon
Thankyou everyone! I take him out usually 1x daily. He loves running around ip and down the hallway..lol. I've tried balls he just looks at them..tho he does enjoy some of the cat toys w/feathers that he tries to chew!
My temp under his basking spot is 96-100 w/digital probe. Tho my uvb is a coil-soon as I found out thats wrong here I immediately ordered the t5 which is due to come today. I will try balls that you can put worms in. Soon as light comes today I'll ask help to set up! Thx again

Rusty

Juvenile Dragon
Yes beardiies can give you attitude :)
They are extremely stubborn, and also like to be the boss :)
This is why we love them so much lol if your tank set up is good, then yes he is scolding you or its winter, they tend to slowdown a bit even if not brumating, they recommend putting a tshirt with your smell on it in there for him to snuggle, worth a try

Mummabeardy

Juvenile Dragon
lol yes they are! I'm definitely going to try small fabric with my scent on it..thankyou! Plus I'm going on vacation nxt month so that's a great idea. Last time I left for a few nights he snubbed me for months! Wouldn't even take food from me! Lol and he was well taken care of! I guess he's just a mommy's boy! Haha

Latest posts