• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help! I have a biting beardie baby!

ragamama

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
??? :'( :'( :'
I am very discouraged and need help with my new baby. I am a beardie newbie, with a baby about 12 weeks old (rough guess) He is 8 1/2 inches, in a 20 gallon tank, proper lights, temp, he is healthy, eating well, pooping regular, but getting more and more aggressive, hissing, biting, trying to escape every time I put my hand in his tank. I am moving him out of sight of the cat who barely notices him-she could care less, and my two year old is not allowed to tap on the glass or scare him. I don't think this is it but we will do anything at this point. I always have clean hands so I don't smell like the cat too. I have been told to move his "furniture" around, change his basking spot to throw him off his high horse. I have seen videos of using your fingers like a beardie head and bob them at him so he knows I am alpha. Anyone try this? I am going to try feeding him outside his territory in a separate spot so he equates getting picked up with getting fed. I have hand fed him some and I handle him for 5-15 minutes 1-2 times a day. When he is held he can be calmed and even can get a bit sleepy but not every time. I never put him down when he is squirmy, and he is always aggressive when I first pick him up. Am I the only person on the planet with a fire breathing beardie? I feel like bad mama. My hubby thinks it is funny that my dragon is emotionally unavailable.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He is most likely going through relocation stress. He is in a new environment. Typically, this should be over by now, but if he is continuing to get stressed out, it could go on a bit longer than normal (2 weeks). With some dragons, it is best to leave him alone for a bit. Let him get acclimated. Offer salad and proteins regularly.

Give it time. Another thing to keep in mind is that you are a predator to him right now. So, when you put your hand in the viv, don't do a sneak attack. Lower your hand slowly. Let it be under your dragon's ching. Stroke his chin. This goes the same when you try to pick him up. Let him know you are there. Gently place your hand under his chin, then his body and then lift him up.

Is he eating and pooping regularly?

ragamama

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
He is eating and pooping regularly. I am unsure about how much he is supposed to eat. I was originally told by petsmart to give him 2-3 crickets 3-5 times a day, he was never satisfied so I gave him 5, 3x a day with a salad and some meal worms. I have been afraid of over feeding him and risking impaction paralysis. Now I am worried that I am not feeding him nearly enough, so today I gave him as many as he could eat over 15 minutes and plan on doing the same when I get home from work. I have also just read not to give mealworms because of the shell. There is too much conflicting info out there. He is growing though and he has shed twice in the three weeks I have had him. He has had one bath. You said put my hand under his chin. I am certain he will bite me if I try this. But I will try it. I have also tried putting food in his mouth when he gapes at me. Maybe this is also why he is biting me. I am afraid to leave him alone because he might get more wild, then I will have a snappy dragon. I have been warned that I only have a few more weeks to tame him or he will be this way for the duration.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I know it is overwhelming at first. The conflicting info out there is exactly why we created our web site. It was originally a place for my hubby and me to jot down our research. I think if the facts are presented, you can make your own judgment call as to whether something is good or not.

As Sandy pointed out, mealworms are not good. Not only can their outershell be difficult to break down, they have no nutritional value to beardies.

You made a good judgment call as far as dropping in the crickets and seeing what your beardie will eat in 15 minutes. In my opinion, PetSmart under estimated the number of crickets a beardie can eat. Dont' beat yourself up too bad. Long ago, I was a victim of incorrect info. I think we've all been there.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
my advice is to get a pair of jersey gloves, they're soft and non abrasive, but they'll protect your fingers from mouths and cause the shock factor not to be so sudden if he does bite you. We don't want you dropping him.

Using the gloved hands, start picking him up later in the evening near lights out. Follow everyone else's advice also, but with the gloves. Always move slowly, and never come at him from above, always from the side so you don't appear like a predator.

This way, you're protected, he's not in danger of being hurt, and he doesn't get his way

ragamama

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
All of this advice is great. I really appreciate it. Here's a pic of Fred in a good mood.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Aw, what a cutie! Let us know how it goes. I'm sure Fred will come around in time...

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Fred is very cute keep at handling him patiently and he'll come around.

ragamama

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
OK here are some new pics of my new bonding techniques from you guys. I think it went well. I will post the second attempt too.

ragamama

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Lets try this again. It got a little better the second time. When he had enough he just jumped up on his log.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Looks like Fred likes having his chin scratched! What dragon doesn't like it? lol..

This is great news. Keep at it. He'll realize that you are not going to eat him and will jump into your hand in no time. ;)

Latest posts