• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

help, Dragon not active

big_lu

Bearded Dragon Egg
my baby bearded dragon doesnt want to eat and isn't very active, he is in a 10 gallon enclosure i have a 100 w. power sun bulb. at first he ate but all of a sudden he just stares up i will upload a pic.
beardie.jpg

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
3.jpg

Wow, I really don't know where to start with all the dangerous aspects of that setup that could be the cause of any number of issues.
  • The minimum recommended size starter enclosure for a baby BD is a 20 Gal long. There is virtually no way to provide the required proper heat gradient of 110F at the basking spot to 80-85F at the cool side in a 10 Gallon enclosure.
  • MVBs are designed for much larger enclosures. A 100W Powersun has absolutely no business in a 10 Gal enclosure. Mercury Vapour Bulbs are quite hot, be very careful that you are not cooking the little one.
  • The humidity in that enclosure with that large water dish, with the heat source you are using must be extremely high.
  • A young BD less than 10" in length should not be on a particle substrate of any kind. Exactly what is that substrate?
  • Do you know exactly what your temperatures are?
  • What are you feeding it?
  • I fear for your BD's wellbeing .......
Here are a few links on BD care that you may find of use. I seriously suggest that you read them over a few times to get a better understanding of your pet, it's care & make some drastic changes very quickly to it's housing & husbandry before it is too late for the little one, if it is not already.

Basic BD Care Sheet - A Place To Start

Beautiful Dragons Nutrition List

Bearded Dragon --- Exclusive Care Info Library

Good Luck to you both.

Pat B

Super Moderator
Oh dear....Germ is so right. If you can, immediately get him into a 20 gal tank with proper lighting. My beardie does not have water in his tank. He has a basking light at 110F and about 80F on the cool side. His UVB is a 10.0 24" bulb across the back of the tank. When he was younger I only fed him baby crix....he doesn't like his greens. You can also get baby mealie worms. Use paper towels instead of what you have ....that's what I used for a while. Good luck!

PS: These article Germ posted are really good.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
All he does is look up? Is it making any sounds? Any yuckies coming out of the nose or mucous from the mouth? Get the water dish out of there asap pretty please! With him only in a 10 the powersun will be creating way too much humidity which can lead to respiratory infections if not taken care of quickly.

Em Lynch

Juvenile Dragon
The baby looks to be stargazing :/ possibly a sign of a URI! and that appears to be sawdust as a substrate :( and its being fed apple? this really angers me i would be very surprised if this baby is still alive. Ignorance kills

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
There is a very good possibility that it is not, the OP has not signed in since less than an hour after his post. They have not seen any of these replies.

Pat B

Super Moderator
The baby looks to be stargazing :/ possibly a sign of a URI! and that appears to be sawdust as a substrate :( and its being fed apple? this really angers me i would be very surprised if this baby is still alive. Ignorance kills
I agree with you Em....what is a URI??

big_lu

Bearded Dragon Egg
haha you guys are funny ready to talk , its not sawdust, i would think no one would put sawdust in there tank, and it is still alive and eating and running around so, so much for our input im not an expect just trying to get help.

Moderated

Pat B

Super Moderator
So if it isn't sawdust what is it? Those that want to help can only go by the picture you posted and what you said. What exactly are you trying to get help on? and....if you don't like what you read for an answer go somewhere else and stop disrespecting those people on this forum that truly help hundreds of people every day. You are the only rude one I have ever run across on this forum and you need to watch your language!

slices mommy

Juvenile Dragon
You come in here posting pics and asking for help then you never respond. If you wanted help you should have at least come back to see the responses. You come back to start trouble instead of checking to see how people can help you! I truly hope the next time you need some advice or help some will still help you

Moderated

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
@ big-lu - You asked for 'Help!', & were provided with good helpful info. The helpful replies were offered for the good of your BD's wellbeing. The replies & questions may not have been what you wanted to hear, but were what you needed to hear & posted to help you give proper healthy care for your BD & to become familiar with the situation so further help could be offered, because that BD is in serious jeopardy being housed the way it is.

Replying in the manner you did was not necessary or acceptable. If you choose to continue using this forum, please curb the language, name calling & ill wishes. The members are here to help, this kind of abusive response is not necessary, please choose your words carefully in the future. The Community is more than willing to help you & your BD, if you will allow yourself & more importantly, your BD to be helped.

@ the rest - Let's keep things civil & be the friendly, helpful community that we are, please.

Any further derogatory comments of this nature will result in the thread being closed.

Thank You,

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
So if it isn't sawdust what is it? Those that want to help can only go by the picture you posted and what you said. What exactly are you trying to get help on? and....if you don't like what you read for an answer go somewhere else and stop disrespecting those people on this forum that truly help hundreds of people every day. You are the only rude one I have ever run across on this forum and you need to watch your language!
Looks like snake bedding, aspen chips, pat. I'm glad I didn't see this thread a couple hour ago.

cherryfilters

Juvenile Dragon
everyone who replied is right, and they only mean to help... you should do more research before putting life in your hands. this goes for any living creature. I hope you take Germ's advice and read over what is a proper living environment for your BD and change everything that is flawed in your viv., for the sake of your BD's life. :(

Latest posts