• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help dragon has MBD

Nero

Juvenile Dragon
Beardie Club
So some people surrendered their 8 year old bearded dragon to my moms clinic. He can’t stand up, his back leg toes are very messed up, and he’s malnourished. His lips are a bit swollen but he can open them, his tail is really stubby and might have suffered/is suffering tail rot. His chin has a patch without scales. The sand (which I got rid of) stained his legs and belly. He came with a tank and a heat rock (i took it out) he can move a bit by using his front legs to drag himself around. He’s very sweet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 32

Nero

Juvenile Dragon
Beardie Club
Also you have to click on the image bc it’s really grainy in the preview

Nero

Juvenile Dragon
Beardie Club
Also I am doing research but I feel like some of you have gone through this and might be able to help.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Awee poor guy! He’s definitely got a fighting spirit! Dragons that usually suffer that bad from mbd usually do best in smaller enclosures , so a 40 gallon would not be too small for him, can we see his enclosure? And you know what kind of lighting he needs right? I believe uve been on this forum long enough. Best thing u can do is just offer him the proper care u would any dragon,…..

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Honestly any care you give, would probably be better than what he was getting before….. id start slow with calcium and vitamins , you dont want to hurt him by giving him to much , ive heard mbd in some cases can be reversed, but seeing as how hes 8, i think the best we can do is offer him a good and easy rest of his life, at least the mbd wont get worse.

Nero

Juvenile Dragon
Beardie Club
Awee poor guy! He’s definitely got a fighting spirit! Dragons that usually suffer that bad from mbd usually do best in smaller enclosures , so a 40 gallon would not be too small for him, can we see his enclosure? And you know what kind of lighting he needs right? I believe uve been on this forum long enough. Best thing u can do is just offer him the proper care u would any dragon,…..
I’m going shopping for new supplies today since his old owners didn’t give us much. But right now I have him in this (I have to buy a lid to set up his tube UVB)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 29

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I’m going shopping for new supplies today since his old owners didn’t give us much. But right now I have him in this (I have to buy a lid to set up his tube UVB)
Enclosures not too bad, if he was mine, id put the hammock underneath the basking spot at the same height as his blankie, id put said blankie in his hammock so the spot underneath it creates another dark spot for him and he can still get warm if he doesn’t want to be under the bulb, i like everything i see in the enclosure, itd be best to have it mostly soft things in there so moving is easier on his joints.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
You wanna make him work a little bit to get to his basking

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
MBD can never be reversed but it can be STOPPED -- you need to get him a bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 95-100 and taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - and GOOD UVB NO coils --- they are the worst --- you want a 24" fixture like a Zoo Med or a Arcadia or Sunblaster -- w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb - how tall is the tank you have him in ? If its shorter than 18 inches like a 16 inch tall tank tell me your not going to want a T 5 or a Arcadia 12% bulb then--- you would need to go to a T 8 but I need the height -
here are some links for the UVB please get this ASAP after we determine height of tank
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html this will come w/ a 5.0 bulb keep it use it for back up if you need it
you will need this bulb if your tank is 18 inches high 22" bulb https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit.html a 22"Arcadia bulb that they are out of stock w/ fixture but you can get order separate 22" bulb https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-12-uvb-t5-reptile-bulb.html
or this fixture https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster...mp.html?opts=eyJhdHRyaWJ1dGU5MDEiOiI2NjA0In0=
after you figure out what fixture w/ bulb you need please tell me then when you get the UVB let me know so I can help you get it placed in the tank - they have a certain distance and placement for them -- in the mean time get the dragon outside for some good UVB -- place him on you or in a plastic tote NO GLASS for 15 minutes or longer on you --- put him in direct sun / partial shade DO NOT LEAVE HIM supervise him especially if its real hot where you are - do this till the UVB comes everyday if you can - this is going to help him - start feeding him calcium D3 on his insects 2-3 times per week lightly coated - one of those days of insects feed vitamins w/ beta carotene - if he starts eating his veggies really good you dont need to worry about the vitamins then but please keep up w/ the calcium for a while that UVB is going to help w/ the calcium as well -- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
I want to consult a vet tech about the calcium and how long you should give for his condition and going forward - I know w/ a T 5 or 12% bulb they should only be given the D3 for so long then it needs to be alternated w/ a calcium w/ out D3 NO phosphorus - I will check w/ her and see what she says -- but I would get this stuff going ASAP--- please get the thermometers as well https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-digital-thermometer.html I would get two of them
and one of these place the probe on the back center wall of the tank its going to read the whole tank
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-digital-temp-and-humidity.html you want the humidity 30-50% that is optimal nothing below 20 and nothing above 70%

Rusty

Juvenile Dragon
So some people surrendered their 8 year old bearded dragon to my moms clinic. He can’t stand up, his back leg toes are very messed up, and he’s malnourished. His lips are a bit swollen but he can open them, his tail is really stubby and might have suffered/is suffering tail rot. His chin has a patch without scales. The sand (which I got rid of) stained his legs and belly. He came with a tank and a heat rock (i took it out) he can move a bit by using his front legs to drag himself around. He’s very sweet.
Awe this poor guy ❤️is he eating?
And at least these ppl turned him over, hopefully before its to late, ox little guy

Nero

Juvenile Dragon
Beardie Club
Honestly any care you give, would probably be better than what he was getting before….. id start slow with calcium and vitamins , you dont want to hurt him by giving him to much , ive heard mbd in some cases can be reversed, but seeing as how hes 8, i think the best we can do is offer him a good and easy rest of his life, at least the mbd wont get worse.
Awe this poor guy ❤️is he eating?
And at least these ppl turned him over, hopefully before its to late, ox little guy
Not very much, I’ve been getting him to drink. I blended up some food because it appears he can’t chew very well. Ive been trying to clean his mouth with a q tip

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Not very much, I’ve been getting him to drink. I blended up some food because it appears he can’t chew very well. Ive been trying to clean his mouth with a q tip
Please post a pic of the mouth-

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Did you get a good UVB? If so what did you get? I consulted a vet tech mod about the calcium D3 and this is what she said

That poor dragon. It looks like he hasn't had the proper UVB lighting?
Did they purchase a T5 tube already?
Calcium with D3 wont do any good at all if they don't have the proper
UVB lighting. For an adult, one time weekly with the use of a good UVB
light is sufficient.

Latest posts