• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help. (doesn't move much, keeps mouth open)

Lyssa086

Bearded Dragon Egg
New to the bearded dragon life. And I feel as tho he or she‍♀️ Is not doing well. He doesn’t seem to be moving around as much as he used to. Gave him some crickets and he barely even cared about them. Tends to keep his mouth open. Does he look off to you? Any suggestions would be super helpful
We have no vets around us that look at “exotic animals” so just need to know if I should take a road trip with this little guy and get some help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 18

Yvonne G

Administrator
3 Year Member
Are you keeping him warm enough? What are the temperatures in the enclosure, day and night?

Lyssa086

Bearded Dragon Egg
Are you keeping him warm enough? What are the temperatures in the enclosure, day and night?
Temps are about 95 F and cool side is 80. He is in a 60 gallon home. Should I maybe have more lights? He also has his heat rock in the home as well.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Temps are about 95 F and cool side is 80. He is in a 60 gallon home. Should I maybe have more lights? He also has his heat rock in the home as well.
Please get rid of the heat rock- your dragon is very skinny- please get him some water either bathing or dropping water on the nose- your surface basking temps and uvb are the life line to the dragon-- what are you using for a uvb you did not say-post a pic of the lighting in the tank

Lyssa086

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please get rid of the heat rock- your dragon is very skinny- please get him some water either bathing or dropping water on the nose- your surface basking temps and uvb are the life line to the dragon-- what are you using for a uvb you did not say-post a pic of the lighting in the tank
Okay. What is the problem with the heat rock may I ask? I have been putting him in the tub and sink for usually 30 min at a time and just learnt yesterday to drop water on his nose so I just started that.
We have a reptile dome light fixture with a night time
okay. What is the problem with the heat rock may I ask? I have been bathing him in the tub and sink for generally 30 min and just learnt to drop water on his nose yesterday so I just started doing that.
move got a basking light in a reptile dome light fixture and a daytime light for the day. Should I be doing something else? Thank you again for your help!
I am unfortunately new to this type of animals as it wasn’t my choice to get. (Daughters father decided it was a good choice) and I’m trying to do my best to keep it alive. So thank you again.

Attachments

• 2D544E3C-FA4B-4B7E-A3F0-107AFFCECD59.jpeg
    2D544E3C-FA4B-4B7E-A3F0-107AFFCECD59.jpeg
    225.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 01D77AAB-F2B2-42A9-9A8B-82F56596064B.png
    01D77AAB-F2B2-42A9-9A8B-82F56596064B.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 11
  • CFF46F1F-9D42-4422-8E88-7A70DFA51C70.jpeg
    CFF46F1F-9D42-4422-8E88-7A70DFA51C70.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 16

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay. What is the problem with the heat rock may I ask? I have been putting him in the tub and sink for usually 30 min at a time and just learnt yesterday to drop water on his nose so I just started that.
We have a reptile dome light fixture with a night time

okay. What is the problem with the heat rock may I ask? I have been bathing him in the tub and sink for generally 30 min and just learnt to drop water on his nose yesterday so I just started doing that.
move got a basking light in a reptile dome light fixture and a daytime light for the day. Should I be doing something else? Thank you again for your help!
I am unfortunately new to this type of animals as it wasn’t my choice to get. (Daughters father decided it was a good choice) and I’m trying to do my best to keep it alive. So thank you again.
Here is some info on lighting -- your dragon is dying please get rid of the red bulb
Lighting
Bearded Dragons require full spectrum lighting for 12-14 hours a day. Reptisun 10.0 or Arcadia 12% tubes are known to provide some of the best full UVB for your dragons. The coils or compacts of the same brand aren't recommended, as they have shown to cause eye problems and reduction of appetite. The Reptiglo brand is also not recommended, tube, coil or compact, as it has been associated with causing eye problems, lethargy and not eating. These fluorescent bulbs should be 2/3rds of the tank should be able to come within 12-15 inches of the light. The UVB should be mounted inside the tank to allow your dragon 100% of the UVB. On top of the tank can filter out up to 50% of the UVB rays your dragon needs. Mercury vapour bulbs are also a good heat & UVB source, but to allow your dragon full use of the UVB it is best to not use the mesh tank tops. Mounting them on a lampstand with a dome without using a top will allow full use of the UVB. Having the correct type of UVB light is also important to help their bones develop strong and healthy.

Red bulbs are not acceptable for dragons for a couple reasons.
You need a clear bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -
2 of these one for the cool side of the tank and one for the basking side https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...um-digital-thermometer-14914.html?cgid=500113

1. your basking bulb should produce a white light, not a colored light. So already, red bulbs can't be used for a basking bulb.
2. Red bulbs really are marketed for nighttime use. They are not acceptable for nighttime use either for many reasons.
Dragons need darkness at night to get a good nights sleep, just like us.
Dragons have an extra cone in their eyes when compared to humans. This means they see much more of the lighting spectrum than we can. So, if your human eyes can see the light, a dragons eyes can too, and most likely in a much more vivid fashion.
You need this ASAP--- 24" this comes w/a 5.0 bulb keep it for a back up you will need to order this bulb 22" https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...vapor/products/arcadia-12-uvb-t5-reptile-bulb
You can check your local pet stores most do not carry the fixture I posted but you need to do this right away --
For now shut the red light off please do no use it anymore --- go and get a clear bright white basking bulb like what I posted and the digital probe thermometers --- take the probe place it on the spot where the dragon sits for basking and wait 10 min get the temp--- take your dragon outside if its 65+ degrees for some good direct sun - hold him or place him in a tote for 15 min direct sun Do Not leave him do this everyday till your UVB comes --- I am not sure how long the dragon is going to last he does not look good at all --

Lyssa086

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here is some info on lighting -- your dragon is dying please get rid of the red bulb
Lighting
Bearded Dragons require full spectrum lighting for 12-14 hours a day. Reptisun 10.0 or Arcadia 12% tubes are known to provide some of the best full UVB for your dragons. The coils or compacts of the same brand aren't recommended, as they have shown to cause eye problems and reduction of appetite. The Reptiglo brand is also not recommended, tube, coil or compact, as it has been associated with causing eye problems, lethargy and not eating. These fluorescent bulbs should be 2/3rds of the tank should be able to come within 12-15 inches of the light. The UVB should be mounted inside the tank to allow your dragon 100% of the UVB. On top of the tank can filter out up to 50% of the UVB rays your dragon needs. Mercury vapour bulbs are also a good heat & UVB source, but to allow your dragon full use of the UVB it is best to not use the mesh tank tops. Mounting them on a lampstand with a dome without using a top will allow full use of the UVB. Having the correct type of UVB light is also important to help their bones develop strong and healthy.

Red bulbs are not acceptable for dragons for a couple reasons.
You need a clear bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -
2 of these one for the cool side of the tank and one for the basking side https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...um-digital-thermometer-14914.html?cgid=500113

1. your basking bulb should produce a white light, not a colored light. So already, red bulbs can't be used for a basking bulb.
2. Red bulbs really are marketed for nighttime use. They are not acceptable for nighttime use either for many reasons.
Dragons need darkness at night to get a good nights sleep, just like us.
Dragons have an extra cone in their eyes when compared to humans. This means they see much more of the lighting spectrum than we can. So, if your human eyes can see the light, a dragons eyes can too, and most likely in a much more vivid fashion.
You need this ASAP--- 24" this comes w/a 5.0 bulb keep it for a back up you will need to order this bulb 22" https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...vapor/products/arcadia-12-uvb-t5-reptile-bulb
You can check your local pet stores most do not carry the fixture I posted but you need to do this right away --
For now shut the red light off please do no use it anymore --- go and get a clear bright white basking bulb like what I posted and the digital probe thermometers --- take the probe place it on the spot where the dragon sits for basking and wait 10 min get the temp--- take your dragon outside if its 65+ degrees for some good direct sun - hold him or place him in a tote for 15 min direct sun Do Not leave him do this everyday till your UVB comes --- I am not sure how long the dragon is going to last he does not look good at all --
Awesome thank u. I will continue bathing and dropping water on his nose. And I’m changing his light immediately. And I will definitely order that other light. Thank you so much. This is the most help I’ve had this far!

Lyssa086

Bearded Dragon Egg
Awesome thank u. I will continue bathing and dropping water on his nose. And I’m changing his light immediately. And I will definitely order that other light. Thank you so much. This is the most help I’ve had this far!
So do I turn lights off completely at night???

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So do I turn lights off completely at night???
Yes no lights on at night but your dragon is sick and could probably use a CHE to keep him warmer at nite like around 80 --- a healthy dragon needs cool and dark - this is a CHE
here is a bulb its a 100 watt for a 40+ gallon tank and you want a dome so it can sit on top of the screen middle of the tank https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...le-terrarium-dome-lamp-with-switch-54949.html
I forgot to address the heat rock - dragons heat from their backs they cannot feel if their stomach is getting too hot if the heat rock malfunctions they wont know to move - I have seen too many heat burns from heat rocks / mats --please let me know what your getting and when you get it so I can help you place the UVB for your tank distance and placement is key here and it will depend on your screen

Lyssa086

Bearded Dragon Egg
Changed the lights, continued bathing him, removed the heat rock, dropping water on his nose and he’s already doing much better. He’s been moving around and chasing his crickets again. Thank you so much. I’ve got the light you recommended and the digital thermometers all set up. So thank you very much!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Changed the lights, continued bathing him, removed the heat rock, dropping water on his nose and he’s already doing much better. He’s been moving around and chasing his crickets again. Thank you so much. I’ve got the light you recommended and the digital thermometers all set up. So thank you very much!
What light did you get --- you need the basking bulb and the UVB those are critical --