• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help . Diarrhea

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
My poor girl has diarrhea Shes almost 2yrs old. She has not been acting right the last 1-2 weeks. Not pooping regularly and belly looked fat. Just kinda laying around but still alert and eating. She didnt eat anything yesterday or today and just a little while she had a very large amount of D+ . I guessing she has worms ? Last week i put new sand in her tank , it was play sand that i sfited through and baked. Im going to clean out her tank and throw away the sand and use news paper for now. I usually clean her tank with vinegar but should i use bleach ?

WatfordOleary17

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Bleach?? Personally bleach goes nowhere nr my reptile room. I tend to use a specially designed cleaner for all my vivs. Id be worried about missing cleaning a patch of bleach and dread thinking of wat the fumes would do to the respiratory system. I hope all gets well and u get everything sorted

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
When I clean my tank i take everything out. I carry it outside or to the bath tub and i usually use a vinegar & water solution to spray it down and completely wash it out. If she had a parasite i was going to use bleach to clean because it kills more germs/ bacteria the vinegar. The solution is never near my girl.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Nothing wrong with using a 10% solution of Bleach & water to do a total disinfect of an enclosure. Simply have to be sure of a good rinse, wipe down & air out. I would have had the animal checked prior to deciding to changing\tossing all. One or 2 bouts of runny poop is not a reason for concern, if it is an ongoing thing, that is a different story. Has their been any recent change in diet or husbandry?

How do you administer a large amount of D3?

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
Hi Germ, sorry about the misunderstanding. I work in a vets office and we write D+ when a pet has diarrhea :oops: Yea, I think i jumped the gun a little bit. I did dump all my new sand and cleaned the tank. :rolleyes: But now that i think back i did give her some fruits the last couple weeks. cantaloupe , strawberries and something else cant remember right now. Also i think i might be bathing her to much. Have been giving them once a week. I did save some of the poop and will bring it to work with me tomorrow and have it checked. Hopefully it comes back clean.

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
Oh yea , shes starting to shed now She hasnt had one in quite a while . How often do adults shed ?
Ryuu says : Im exhausted , goodnight
5-5-13 2.jpg

Pat B

Super Moderator
Adults don't shed very often. She will shed on her own time table and when a beardie sheds they do all kinds of nutty things....not eating, not pooping, lethargic. They aren't their usually 'happy' self.

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
*Update* So I had her fecal tested today and the vet said it was coccidia . :( :eek: He also found large amounts of pollen in the sample ?? what ? He prescribed an antibiotic called TMS or Trimethoprim with sulfamethoxazole . I have to say , I am NOT happy about the situation . I Hate bugs ! and germs and parasites ! It freaks me out ! I dont understand , I keep her enclosure very clean. So maybe it came from the crickets ?
With the help of my son, she took her 1st dose of meds very well, although she bit the syringe and didnt want to let go :D She had a bowel movement today and it was a little runny but formed the urate had a yellow tinge to it. Hopefully with the meds she'll be on her way to getting healthy.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, ammonia is the cheapest cleaner to kill coccidia. You can buy beauty supply strength peroxide or even by premade solutions to combat coccidia. To effectively rid your animal of coccidia. You have to follow your vets recommended course of Rx treament, be sterile and clean the cage daily. Where ever that animals vent rest's...you want to be sure it gets cleaned.

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
Hi, ammonia is the cheapest cleaner to kill coccidia. You can buy beauty supply strength peroxide or even by premade solutions to combat coccidia. To effectively rid your animal of coccidia. You have to follow your vets recommended course of Rx treament, be sterile and clean the cage daily. Where ever that animals vent rest's...you want to be sure it gets cleaned.

Ive read bleach will also kill coccidia is that true ? Do you know the ratio of bleach to water ? You said to clean where her vent touches daily but how often do i need to clean the whole enclosure ? I have newspaper down now so not a problem changing that a couple times a day. Should i keep any furniture in there ? I have a very nice basking log , not in there right now, any way to sterilize it or do i have to throw it away ? Its gonna be a long couple weeks :(

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
From what i have been told, bleach does not kill coccidia. Clean daily and personally while she is be rehabbed i would use limited cage furnishings. I would personally throw the wood pieces out but if you are attatched to the looks. You could treat it multiple times.

What drug was prescribed for the coccidia and the rx strength, dosage strength, regimen if you know them?

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
Ryuu really does like that branch , its a nice size for her. But to be on the safe side i can throw it away . The vet said he was highly suspicious of coccida and there was a large amount of pollen in the fecal sample. I really dont understand why there is pollen in it.

The medication she is on is TMP/SMZ 240mg/5ml
Trimethoprim with Sulfamethoxazole

directions : Give 0.25ml every 24 hrs for 5 days, then every 48 hours for 2 weeks.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Has she been outside recently? Added any bee pollen lately with her diet?

The pollen could be from the outside world where she could've licked something with pollen on it. About everything has a thick layer of pollen on it. That's where she could've gotten that high level of pollen.

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
She was outside 1 time last week for about 5 min's with me . I was holding her , she never touched the ground. I washed her tank outside tho and let it air dry so thats prob where it came from.

Im stressed about the coccidia and trying to keep everything clean. Can i clean the prob end of the thermometer ?

Any other advice on cleaning would be great !!! Ive read contradicting things about bleach. Does it kill the coccidia or not ?

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes it does. When Allie was sick with Coccidia, the vet informed me to clean her tank with a bleach solution and let it air dry. (I used more water than bleach because I couldn't stand the smell of bleach and bleach bothers my asthma so I use vinegar for all my cleaning needs.) Dealing with Coccidia isn't an easy matter because I have heard it can stick to any surface and reinfect the beardie.

I took out all of my decorations and soaked them in a tub full of bleach and water. I even soaked the logs with the bleach solution, let it air dry, and then baked it for over an hour. (When she was tested again, the Coccidia was gone. (I was given Albon and Panacur for Pinworms for Allie.) I'm allergic to sulfa so I have to be very careful around it.

And now speaking of Allie, someone wants to come out now. :)

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you Noella ! She is down to the bare minimum right now. Newspaper bottom and a basking rock which i will wash and change out daily . Im going to put her hammock in at night so she has somewhere to sleep. I feel so bad that shes in an empty enclosure. :( Hopefully she'll get well soon and she can have her nice home back.

Allie is a cutie :)

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
Yep rule with Reptiles and bleach is mix one gallon of water to one cap full of bleach. I had to bleach everything when Dino was shipped to me he had Coccidia, Giardia and pinworms and I let everything sit in the mixture for 10 min and then rinsed really good and then let it dry. Dino got rechecked 2 weeks after on the medications and he was free and clear but then went into Brumation :(

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you Noella ! She is down to the bare minimum right now. Newspaper bottom and a basking rock which i will wash and change out daily . Im going to put her hammock in at night so she has somewhere to sleep. I feel so bad that shes in an empty enclosure. :( Hopefully she'll get well soon and she can have her nice home back.

Allie is a cutie :)

Thank you! I hope she gets better soon. You should've seen Allie when she was sick. She had dark colors and stress marks so bad that I thought she wouldn't get well and her temps were as high as she could stand the temps. She stayed mostly on her cool side and stayed cold all the time. The only time she ever digested her food was on me. She was just so cold and wasn't keeping her body thermoregulated. The vet wasn't sure if she was sick either because she looked healthy. But I knew she wasn't healthy because her poop stunk up the whole house and the poor baby slept on me and in a warm flannel blanket. (I wrapped her up in blankets to warm her body up after someone suggested to let her sleep on something cushy soft and something to keep her off the cold glass. (I had two blankets thrown away and nowadays, I use a pillow, pillowcase, and two fleece blankets without the CHE.)

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks guys, its nice to have other people to talk to that have been through it . This is my first beardie . My son brought her home and i wanted to kill him ! I was like what the hell is that ?? get that thing outta here ! It took me a year to even touch her . Lol but she grew on me and i love her. Her tank is even in my room now.
She seemed good today. Alert and ate 2 bowls of salad but didnt poop. Im out of crickets so i have to go to the store tomorrow and get some. Btw... I really really really hate bugs:eek: !!!! My son has to feed them i just cant do it , nope . :rolleyes:
Im glad both of your beardies are happy and healthy now and im sure Ryuu will be soon too .

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They've got a great habit doing that. They really know how to 'burrow' into our hearts. My brother's nervous around Allie. She loves to climb all over him because he's taller than me. (Must be the huge basking size complex. :).) He'll stand there and stare down at her like, "What's she going to do today?"

Today, Allie tried to swim in mid-air while on my hand. She began moving her front leg and back leg. :D

Latest posts