• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help!! Diarrhea for three weeks with no change in diet.

giacomosfree

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone, I'm a new bearded dragon owner and I'm kind of stressed about my girl Pip's recent bowel movements. She is 2 years old and perfectly healthy otherwise, still eats fine and acts normal, but she hasn't been pooping every day like normal. When I get her to poop, it is only after applesauce and a bath, and it is a lot of diarrhea. I haven't changed her diet from her previous owners significantly and I can't determine a possible cause because for the first month I had her she was in perfect health. Now I'm starting to get concerned because there was blood in her most recent poop. I attached some photos as well, please let me know your thoughts! Anything helps!

Attachments

• IMG_6311 Small.jpeg
    IMG_6311 Small.jpeg
    37.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6317 Small.jpeg
    IMG_6317 Small.jpeg
    16.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6319 Small.jpeg
    IMG_6319 Small.jpeg
    31.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6323 Small.jpeg
    IMG_6323 Small.jpeg
    16.5 KB · Views: 17

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi everyone, I'm a new bearded dragon owner and I'm kind of stressed about my girl Pip's recent bowel movements. She is 2 years old and perfectly healthy otherwise, still eats fine and acts normal, but she hasn't been pooping every day like normal. When I get her to poop, it is only after applesauce and a bath, and it is a lot of diarrhea. I haven't changed her diet from her previous owners significantly and I can't determine a possible cause because for the first month I had her she was in perfect health. Now I'm starting to get concerned because there was blood in her most recent poop. I attached some photos as well, please let me know your thoughts! Anything helps!
Let's go over the surface basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? Next her uvb is it a coil or a long tube fixture-- what is her main staple insect?

giacomosfree

Bearded Dragon Egg
Let's go over the surface basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? Next her uvb is it a coil or a long tube fixture-- what is her main staple insect?
Surface basking temperature I have at 105-110 degrees. I have a digital thermometer next to her basking and cool points. I also use a digital infrared thermometer to check throughout the day (thermapro). Her uvb is a tube fixture and her staple insect is dubia roaches.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Surface basking temperature I have at 105-110 degrees. I have a digital thermometer next to her basking and cool points. I also use a digital infrared thermometer to check throughout the day (thermapro). Her uvb is a tube fixture and her staple insect is dubia roaches.
Ok the 105-110 is a little warm for an adult- how long is she basking for at that temp? Usually recommended basking is 95-100-- the uvb is a T 5 or T 8? Where is the uvb and how old is the bulb? Good staple feeder - I am wondering if she might have parasites- you might consider getting a fecal done --- please take it in No enemas they can end in disaster - also what are you feeding for salads a lot of watery veggies can also cause loose stools-

giacomosfree

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok the 105-110 is a little warm for an adult- how long is she basking for at that temp? Usually recommended basking is 95-100-- the uvb is a T 5 or T 8? Where is the uvb and how old is the bulb? Good staple feeder - I am wondering if she might have parasites- you might consider getting a fecal done --- please take it in No enemas they can end in disaster - also what are you feeding for salads a lot of watery veggies can also cause loose stools-
She basks on and off, I don't see her basking at her close point much unless it is the early morning when her lights go on or it is a cooler day. She usually sits just next to the light, underneath the heat lamp. The UVB is t5, I just replaced it a week ago. For salads, I do collared greens as the base every day. fruit twice a week and veggies three times a week. I also give her some chard and arugula from time to time. I also thought that it could be parasites. I have a dubia roach colony, is it possible that she could be getting parasites from that? I take really good care of the colony but I recently had to buy some more from the store to keep the colony going. Is there a way that I can tell her feeder is ok? Also what are the signs I should look for in her to tell if she has parasites?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She basks on and off, I don't see her basking at her close point much unless it is the early morning when her lights go on or it is a cooler day. She usually sits just next to the light, underneath the heat lamp. The UVB is t5, I just replaced it a week ago. For salads, I do collared greens as the base every day. fruit twice a week and veggies three times a week. I also give her some chard and arugula from time to time. I also thought that it could be parasites. I have a dubia roach colony, is it possible that she could be getting parasites from that? I take really good care of the colony but I recently had to buy some more from the store to keep the colony going. Is there a way that I can tell her feeder is ok? Also what are the signs I should look for in her to tell if she has parasites?
Dubias do not tend to give parasites its the crickets that do that is why I asked -- I am busy ruling out the cause of the diarrhea -- if she is sitting off to the side of the basking spot I would try lowering the temp see if she moves under it -- the T 5 is on top of the screen or inside the tank ? And is the screen a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type - distance and placement is key regarding your screen -- another sign of parasites is the smell -- if its so bad it drives you from the room or you can actually smell it outside the room shes in then good possibility-- the dubias could of given her the loose stools depending on what they were fed --- has the diarrhea been since you started w/ the different roaches? I would cut back on the fruit -- another possibility feed her fruit on occasion-- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
there is a lot to consider w/ this loose stool stuff -- we need to start ruling this out one by one to narrow the cause - please start w/ salads every day -- but we also need to make sure your UVB is correctly placed it has a baring on the poop issue

giacomosfree

Bearded Dragon Egg
Dubias do not tend to give parasites its the crickets that do that is why I asked -- I am busy ruling out the cause of the diarrhea -- if she is sitting off to the side of the basking spot I would try lowering the temp see if she moves under it -- the T 5 is on top of the screen or inside the tank ? And is the screen a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type - distance and placement is key regarding your screen -- another sign of parasites is the smell -- if its so bad it drives you from the room or you can actually smell it outside the room shes in then good possibility-- the dubias could of given her the loose stools depending on what they were fed --- has the diarrhea been since you started w/ the different roaches? I would cut back on the fruit -- another possibility feed her fruit on occasion-- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
there is a lot to consider w/ this loose stool stuff -- we need to start ruling this out one by one to narrow the cause - please start w/ salads every day -- but we also need to make sure your UVB is correctly placed it has a baring on the poop issue
The smell is definitely the same as before, not bad at all. Only difference is the consistency. The uvb is places under the mesh, i have it placed on the left side of the inside of the tank with the heating and basking bulb right in front of it on the left. I kept everything the same as her previous owner who has had many reptiles and beardies. I also feed the roaches the same things as her, usually collard greens, chard, carrots, and sometimes fruit and potatoes. Should I only feed her salads every day and not give her any insects? Can I give her other insects besides dubia?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The smell is definitely the same as before, not bad at all. Only difference is the consistency. The uvb is places under the mesh, i have it placed on the left side of the inside of the tank with the heating and basking bulb right in front of it on the left. I kept everything the same as her previous owner who has had many reptiles and beardies. I also feed the roaches the same things as her, usually collard greens, chard, carrots, and sometimes fruit and potatoes. Should I only feed her salads every day and not give her any insects? Can I give her other insects besides dubia?
Ok please get rid of the heating pad -- they can cause burns and are not recommended -- the UVB needs to be directly over the basking decor 12-15 inches -- please feed salads every day and insects 2-3 times per week -- dust only ONCE per feeding of calcium D3 and the other two days regular calcium w/ out D3 and NO phosphorus-- please do not feed carrots to the dragon if your feeding the roaches carrots too much Vit A and will turn the urate orange on the ends -- other good staple insects are BSFL they are really small larvae and silk worms I dont recommend crickets -- are you feeding any treat worms like horn or super or meal worms ? Horn worms are a good hydrating worm and if fed too many can cause loose stools

giacomosfree

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok please get rid of the heating pad -- they can cause burns and are not recommended -- the UVB needs to be directly over the basking decor 12-15 inches -- please feed salads every day and insects 2-3 times per week -- dust only ONCE per feeding of calcium D3 and the other two days regular calcium w/ out D3 and NO phosphorus-- please do not feed carrots to the dragon if your feeding the roaches carrots too much Vit A and will turn the urate orange on the ends -- other good staple insects are BSFL they are really small larvae and silk worms I dont recommend crickets -- are you feeding any treat worms like horn or super or meal worms ? Horn worms are a good hydrating worm and if fed too many can cause loose stools
I do not have a heating pad for her. I will change the height of the uvb. I gave her some super worms as a treat two weeks ago right around when I noticed she wasn’t pooping as frequently. I only have been dusting her bugs in calcium with D3 only once a week… could that be the issue?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I do not have a heating pad for her. I will change the height of the uvb. I gave her some super worms as a treat two weeks ago right around when I noticed she wasn’t pooping as frequently. I only have been dusting her bugs in calcium with D3 only once a week… could that be the issue?
No she needs it once a week - please add the regular calcium - usually loose stools are caused by diet basking temps and parasites- I would stop the fruit for now get your uvb adjusted - the super worms are not going to cause diarrhea either-

Latest posts