• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help! Bleeding

Jct0064

Bearded Dragon Egg
I adopted my dragon a year ago and he's been great! He was on sand so I put him on slate. But he runs around so much that his nails are super short. One on the back started bleeding and he won't leave it alone. I got him to sit on my chest for a few minutes but he otherwise has not stopped moving. If I put him in the tank then he wants out, and the. Runs around on the floor until he gets cold and I have to put him back in the cage.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Take the tile out and put down paper towel. Get some Betadyne and put a drop in some warm water to make it look like a week tea. Try to get your beardie to keep his foot in for a few minutes this will help clean it. You could also get a styptic stick, it's by the shaving aisle, that will help stop the bleeding.

I had to take the tile out of my boys tank because he doesn't like to be in his tank and will run around for hours. His nails got real short and he couldn't grip on our shirts! So now we have him on paper towel or newspaper and just put a few tiles in.

Jct0064

Bearded Dragon Egg
The tile is caulked in so it won't come out, I put a bath towel in over it though, we don't have paper towels, I was planning on getting some repti carpet tomorrow. Do I have to disinfect it? The bleeding has stopped and he is asleep, he went to bed early because he wouldn't chill. He seems happier now, he. Finally ate and then sat under his light for a while, then I turned it off when he starting doing laps again. I have rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide, will that work for disinfecting if it has to be done? He will hate me for it for sure though no matter what I use.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
you dont HAVE to disinfect it - but it's a really good idea. I would not use rubbing alcohol - he will hate you for sure !! Betadyne is the best. And - he does not have to be awake - wait until he's asleep, then take him out of the viv and stick his foot in the solution. repti carpet is good. they can get their nails caught in the fabric loops - which - if he doesnt have any nails wont be a problem. but - if you can t get the carpet, buy a roll of paper towels ! even after you soak his foot, watch for infection. keep us posted - we care!

Jct0064

Bearded Dragon Egg
His toes are fine, I've been putting towels in his cage so he can't file his nails anymore any there was never any swelling in the toes.

He jumped off the stairs today, I took him to the vet and they said he was fine, no signs of bleeding or broken bones, just a little banged up. They also said he was one of the healthiest dragons they have seen in a while. The dragon going out as I was going in looked anorexic.

They give him some meds for pain/swelling any showed me how to give it.

I took his climbing branch out of his cage put in a rock to make up for the light being too high.

He is just chilling now, the pain meds should be in full swing soon.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That is good news! Did you get the repti carpet?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
How long do their nails take to grow?

It can take awhile. Luci lost a complete nail and it took a few months for it to grow back. He has a nail that he filed down with the tile and I took the tile out a few months back and the nail is still real short.

Latest posts