• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help ! Beardie poop

Benbenz

Hatchling Dragon
I'm a bit new to having a bearded dragon, only just getting one on the 20th of February. His poops have been normal recently, but by last Friday, he's pooped a watery green. I knew it was a bad sign, but I wanted to keep an eye on it. As it could also be from stress.

So, waiting it out, the poop was normal and like a log, so I didn't think too much of it. I also kept an eye on activity and how much my dragon is willing to eat, and I thought that seemed fine.

Today, I noticed that my bearded dragon had pooped watery again, and it smelt HORRIBLE. I know this isn't a good sign, but I'm still very much struggling, despite research done. I'm wondering if I should take him to the vet now ?

( I apologize for the photo being in a horrible angle, it's the only one I ended up taking. Yet, it's a really watery brown. )

Attachments

• IMG20230306073015.jpg
    8.5 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG20230306073015.jpg
    8.5 MB · Views: 8

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm a bit new to having a bearded dragon, only just getting one on the 20th of February. His poops have been normal recently, but by last Friday, he's pooped a watery green. I knew it was a bad sign, but I wanted to keep an eye on it. As it could also be from stress.

So, waiting it out, the poop was normal and like a log, so I didn't think too much of it. I also kept an eye on activity and how much my dragon is willing to eat, and I thought that seemed fine.

Today, I noticed that my bearded dragon had pooped watery again, and it smelt HORRIBLE. I know this isn't a good sign, but I'm still very much struggling, despite research done. I'm wondering if I should take him to the vet now ?

( I apologize for the photo being in a horrible angle, it's the only one I ended up taking. Yet, it's a really watery brown. )
Its possible its parasites --- can you post a better pic of it first --I see the one but it looks just like urate only- watery green could be very hydrated and a green log formation is what you want -- what is the diet your feeding? If your needing a parasite test it is best to collect a fecal 24 hr and take it in --- NO enemas -- they often and can end in disaster -- I would call the vets office tell them you would like a parasite test done and see if you can drop it off -- go from there --- please post another pic of the poop from above

Benbenz

Hatchling Dragon
Its possible its parasites --- can you post a better pic of it first --I see the one but it looks just like urate only- watery green could be very hydrated and a green log formation is what you want -- what is the diet your feeding? If your needing a parasite test it is best to collect a fecal 24 hr and take it in --- NO enemas -- they often and can end in disaster -- I would call the vets office tell them you would like a parasite test done and see if you can drop it off -- go from there --- please post another pic of the poop from above
I'm sorry ! I didn't take another photo, and I'm in class now. I can provide a diet though,

I leave a bowl with some greens in it, last week I provided collard greens. Very occasionally I put tomatoes in it. This week, I plan to put mustard greens. I feed him crickets when I get the chance, as I'm a bit busy with my classes. Of course, I spritz the greens to make sure they're hydrated, and I'll put the calcium mix on them. I do the same for crickets.

If he ends up pooping like this again, should I send another photo ? I greatly apologize for not getting another. After last Friday, on Saturday and Sunday, the poops were shaped like a log and green. He's been pooping everyday.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm sorry ! I didn't take another photo, and I'm in class now. I can provide a diet though,

I leave a bowl with some greens in it, last week I provided collard greens. Very occasionally I put tomatoes in it. This week, I plan to put mustard greens. I feed him crickets when I get the chance, as I'm a bit busy with my classes. Of course, I spritz the greens to make sure they're hydrated, and I'll put the calcium mix on them. I do the same for crickets.

If he ends up pooping like this again, should I send another photo ? I greatly apologize for not getting another. After last Friday, on Saturday and Sunday, the poops were shaped like a log and green. He's been pooping everyday.
How old is the dragon? If hes a baby he needs protein every day and depending on the age several times a day - please go over your surface basking temps NO stick ons and your UVB --- this is critical for the overall health of your dragon - NO coils for a UVB they are a health hazard -- you need to start dusting the insects --- crickets are a dirty feeder and often cause parasites -- I recommend you get him on dubia roaches -- they are a way better nutritional feeder than crickets -- and they dont stink like crickets or chirp -- if you need help w/ any of this I can post links and websites to get your tank on par -- please let me know

Benbenz

Hatchling Dragon
How old is the dragon? If hes a baby he needs protein every day and depending on the age several times a day - please go over your surface basking temps NO stick ons and your UVB --- this is critical for the overall health of your dragon - NO coils for a UVB they are a health hazard -- you need to start dusting the insects --- crickets are a dirty feeder and often cause parasites -- I recommend you get him on dubia roaches -- they are a way better nutritional feeder than crickets -- and they dont stink like crickets or chirp -- if you need help w/ any of this I can post links and websites to get your tank on par -- please let me know
The place where I got my beardie had said he was a few months old, but I believe he's only a few weeks. I use a UVB tube. I also do dust the crickets.

Thanks for the help, I'll consider getting dubia roaches instead. I'll also get a temperature gun to measure the temps in the tank, since I've been using a stick on.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The place where I got my beardie had said he was a few months old, but I believe he's only a few weeks. I use a UVB tube. I also do dust the crickets.

Thanks for the help, I'll consider getting dubia roaches instead. I'll also get a temperature gun to measure the temps in the tank, since I've been using a stick on.
IR guns are good but not as accurate as digital probe thermometers -- if hes under 6 months you want surface basking temps of 105-110 -- if hes over 6 months 95-100-- what brand and bulb for the UVB-- they have certain distance and placement for the T 5 and T 8 -- your screen is going to determine where it goes