• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help! Bearded dragon not eating, lethargic after brumation!

Claire K

Bearded Dragon Egg
Okay so I have an 2 year old bearded dragon named Ruby. And she has had problems almost from the beginning. But because I am probably going to be asked:
-Basking spot- 100 degrees Fahrenheit
- UVB10.0 new

Anyhow, this the story. I got Ruby from a small reputable breeder at my local repticon. She was about three months old. When we got her she was active had clear eyes and ate dubia roaches like a beast for about the first month. Then I started to notice some bloody stool (still eating) so I took her to the vet.(four to five months old) She had a fecal test done and it showed a small amount of coccidia. So we got her on meds and thoroughly cleaned her cage with ammonia, then rinsed it with water thoroughly. A few days after taking the meds she started to be slower to eat her food, not eating with the vigor that she used to. Then one day she didn't respond to the food at all. She was eventually took of the meds. Took her back to the vet. No signs of coccidia. Told them about it they told me not to worry about it, she should eat soon. However, she started to get lethargic, still basking but not eating. Sometimes she would take food if I put it up to her face. She went on like this for a few months. I kept calling the vet but got the same answer each time, not to worry she will get better soon.
So I went to a new vet. They cannot find anything wrong and just put her on some antibiotics. However, she doesn't get any better. I do some research and think maybe she is trying to brumate. So I shorten the amount of daytime light to simulate winter and I give her a spot to hide and wait. She goes into a deep brumation(4-5 months), I gave her weekly baths for hydration. One day after a bath she decides not to hide but goes over to her basking spot and has been there ever since. This was two weeks ago, but she is still lethargic, not eating wakes up at 7 am, basks, and then goes to sleep at 2pm even though her lights stay on until 7pm. Right now she is basking. And when I take her out she likes to explore but still very slowly. This is my first beardie.

Can anyone help me?

mamaof2dragons

Juvenile Dragon
you should get her in for a vet check just to rule out any illnesses that she may have or parasites that can accumulate during brumation.

Latest posts