• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HELP! Beady seems depressed and not eating

Abbie123

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi!
My bearded dragon called Harriet is only one year old. She has barely been eating anything apart from a few bites of veggies for the past two weeks. She is very cold and spends most of her time curled in a corner. I am currently staying temporarily at my holiday house and couldn’t find anyone who was capable of looking after her so decided to bring her with me. Had to bye a second hand terrarium that would be smaller and easier to move around. Presumed that would be find fine as Harriet would only be staying in it for a few weeks. Yet am wondering whether this might be the cause of the problem? Would really appreciate some advise on how I can solve this problem and what the exact cause is. Harriet was my first ever bearded dragon so have began to get the hang of it. But still newbie so unsure how to deal with this apart from hand feeding to her at least a few bits of carrots into her.

Abbie :)

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Sounds like brumation to me. If she's just hanging out sleeping, eating less, and not basking that's probably what it is. Weigh her to be sure it's not something else, and then decrease her UVB hours to about 8 hours a day. Offer her food every once in a while. She might not wake up for baths, so you must be sure to hold her head above the water. Her metabolism is slowed down during brumation, so she can survive on very little food. You can expect her to wake up in a few weeks to a few months.
If it is the new cage making her upset, make sure to give her as much time outside it as possible.
If you're still worried, you can go to a vet for a check-up for peace of mind.

Abbie123

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the advise HoomanSlave, will definitely make sure to get her out plenty. Harriet did go through about a month of brumation at the beginning of the year. Is it possible for this to happen multiple times in one year?

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Thanks for the advise HoomanSlave, will definitely make sure to get her out plenty. Harriet did go through about a month of brumation at the beginning of the year. Is it possible for this to happen multiple times in one year?
It's uncommon since they tend to do all their brumation at once, but not totally unheard of.

Latest posts