• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HELP! AFRAID OF IMPACTION!

BeardieMomma

Hatchling Dragon
Hello all,

I am panicked. I have a bearded dragon who I believe is 6 to 8 months old. She's about 14 inches long. She hasn't pooped in 4 or 5 days. Some info:

I use Australian sand as the substrate. I keep it impeccably clean. She usually won't poop in her tank anyway its easy to keep clean. I know sand is a risk though but she likes digging.

Shes got propert temp, light, 40 gallon tank. Eats meal worms, crickets, some horn worms. Not a ton of fruits and veggies but blueberries, kale, asparagus, or/carrot a few times a week. She takes baths once a week. She has been shedding quite a lot. I always use a spray bottle a few times a week to mist her.

Before this she pooped regularly. Every day until a few weeks ago, then every other day. I think mostly because for some reason she refused to go in her tank and I would get worried on the second day (and she would get anxious) and I would take her out and she would poop. Sometimes on me lol.

Yesterday I put her in my bathtub with hot water. She seemed happy. Still no poop.

No signs of impaction; her legs aren't paralyzed or dragging. She's eating regularly. She is energetic. I don't know what to do. Pics attached, I think she looks good.

Attachments

• 20221220_123541.jpg
    20221220_123541.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • 20221220_123530.jpg
    20221220_123530.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello all,

I am panicked. I have a bearded dragon who I believe is 6 to 8 months old. She's about 14 inches long. She hasn't pooped in 4 or 5 days. Some info:

I use Australian sand as the substrate. I keep it impeccably clean. She usually won't poop in her tank anyway its easy to keep clean. I know sand is a risk though but she likes digging.

Shes got propert temp, light, 40 gallon tank. Eats meal worms, crickets, some horn worms. Not a ton of fruits and veggies but blueberries, kale, asparagus, or/carrot a few times a week. She takes baths once a week. She has been shedding quite a lot. I always use a spray bottle a few times a week to mist her.

Before this she pooped regularly. Every day until a few weeks ago, then every other day. I think mostly because for some reason she refused to go in her tank and I would get worried on the second day (and she would get anxious) and I would take her out and she would poop. Sometimes on me lol.

Yesterday I put her in my bathtub with hot water. She seemed happy. Still no poop.

No signs of impaction; her legs aren't paralyzed or dragging. She's eating regularly. She is energetic. I don't know what to do. Pics attached, I think she looks good.
Do you know if shes licking that substrate or getting it mixed w/ the food? I am not a fan of loose substrate because of the impaction risk along w/ bacteria --- it is not uncommon for dragons to really slow down on their pooping- mine poop every 3-4 weeks usually 3 -- as long as the diet is good and proper size insects good basking surface basking temps and good UVB your good - she will go when she needs to -- please NO more HOT baths - yes she looks good -- you can always set up a dig box in the tank for her and replace the substrate w/ some textured NON adhesive shelf liner -- that way you know shes not going to be impacted by the substrate --

BeardieMomma

Hatchling Dragon
Do you know if shes licking that substrate or getting it mixed w/ the food? I am not a fan of loose substrate because of the impaction risk along w/ bacteria --- it is not uncommon for dragons to really slow down on their pooping- mine poop every 3-4 weeks usually 3 -- as long as the diet is good and proper size insects good basking surface basking temps and good UVB your good - she will go when she needs to -- please NO more HOT baths - yes she looks good -- you can always set up a dig box in the tank for her and replace the substrate w/ some textured NON adhesive shelf liner -- that way you know shes not going to be impacted by the substrate -

I was
Do you know if shes licking that substrate or getting it mixed w/ the food? I am not a fan of loose substrate because of the impaction risk along w/ bacteria --- it is not uncommon for dragons to really slow down on their pooping- mine poop every 3-4 weeks usually 3 -- as long as the diet is good and proper size insects good basking surface basking temps and good UVB your good - she will go when she needs to -- please NO more HOT baths - yes she looks good -- you can always set up a dig box in the tank for her and replace the substrate w/ some textured NON adhesive shelf liner -- that way you know shes not going to be impacted by the substrate --
She doesn't lick it and I keep her food separate. But maybe she did lick it once, I don't know. Once every 3 to 4 weeks? Wow. And it can start slowing down like that at my dragons age? Ok TY about the advice on baths. I used to give them a few times a week but lately it's only been once a week.

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello!

What type is the Australian substrate/sand, is it similar to washed & sifted playsand?
She most likely isn't impacted if she really doesn't lick the sand or ingest it. They can definitely
slow down & if they become dehydrated it might impact them a bit. You can try giving some
extra oral hydration, to help out the system. Or you can give a mix of sugar free applesauce,
canned pumpkin along with a drop or two of organic coconut or olive oil a few times per week.
Which type/brand of UVB are you currently using?

Tracie

Latest posts