• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello!

Dragonslave

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi everyone! I'm new to this site, but not to beardies.
I have a 6yr old male named Grampa Dragon, who I rescued from a very unfortunate living situation. I found a posting on craigslist for an adult bearded dragon, and I'd always wanted one. I did a ton of research to be sure I would be capable of taking care of a beardie, and when I was ready, I called them. I was so excited to meet my potential new friend! They told me that they had to give him up because they weren't allowed to keep him in their apartment anymore. I was told he was healthy and full of spunk.;D When I finally saw him, however, I wanted to cry. I was furious with the horrible people! :mad:They had the poor beardie in a tank on dirty poo-filled sand, with no lights, heat or uvb source. He had a few crazy rocks, and a scuzzy bark bend to sit on. He was stick thin and ready to eat anything that went into his viv. His owners teased him with a paddle ball. They would dangle it in front of him, and just as he would go for it, they'd jerk it away. I think he thought it was food. He was only given a few crickets a week along with some crappy iceburg lettuce. Once a month or so they'd toss in a pinkie. He was missing a couple toes on his left foot, so they called him Toey. It was so heart breaking. :'( I asked them to promise not to ever get another pet ever again, and left with my new poor starving, mistreated friend. It took a long time, and a lot of tender loving slave labor, but I finally was able to turn him into a happy, some what crotchety at times, beardie.
Meet Grampa Dragon:
michellespics018.jpg
IMAGE_108.jpg
IMAGE_124.jpg
IMAGE_dragon.jpg
IMAGE_101.jpg

My other beardie, Phoenix was adopted from a pet store when she was about 5mths old. She has been spoiled rotten her whole life, and it shows. She is 3yrs old and very chunky. She is a definite princess! Meet Phoenix:
michellespics059.jpg
michellespics063.jpg
michellespics061.jpg
michellespics062.jpg
face.jpg
fatgirl.jpg
lounger.jpg
IMAGE_029.jpg

Thanks for letting me share my story, and show off my sweeties! ;D

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome welcome welcome ! You got a new family now ! US ! What a wonderful person you are ! Such a heart breaking story about Grampa ! I am so glad you did get him, and then Phoenix too !
Great photos ! No hounding you for any :D
Glad to have you on board this wonderful forum. If you need anything, or have any questions, air them ! :D
Janie.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello and welcome to our forum. Your story is a tear jerker. Hats off to you for saving Grampa Dragon and giving Phoenix a good home. Can't wait to hear about your adventures. I'm sure our members would value your insight with caring for these little creatures.

AshleyMac

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I am new to this site too and i cant believe they did that to grandpa dragon :eek:! i'm happy he has a better home now and a loving owner. :)

Dragonslave

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks for the wonderful welcome! I'm glad I could share my story with you guys, because it has a happy ending, and everyone loves those! :) Dragon is the funniest of all my "children". Phoenix has a typical spoiled dragon personality, and has an outstanding ability to give me the stink-eye/beardie death glare. Which she uses whenever I'm not slaving to her demands fast enough or I look at her when she's doing something I'm not supposed to see her do, like run into a wall at top speed, or get her greens stuck to her face.
But Grampa Dragon,(G.D.) has an unpredictable personality. I think maybe it's a disorder. I never know which G.D. I'm going to encounter. He has 3 distinct personalities: Sweet and cuddly; crotchety; and stud muffin. I prefer sweet and cuddly, but he seems to prefer crotchety. :p He is only stud muffin when he gets a chance to see Phoenix, than he is the unstoppable mack daddy Dragon. Phoenix is a snob though, and usually ignores the head-bobbing, beard show, which then makes him crotchety again. Vicious cycle. When he is in his sweet cuddly mood, he is soooo...wonderful. He snuggles up into my neck, and goes to sleep, nice!

Dragon ran up the screen lid that I had leaned against her viv. He wanted to try a new approach to get her attention:
michellespics021.jpg
michellespics020.jpg
She, of course ignored him. ::) :eek:

Anyway, I'm writing too much again. Sorry, I love to share stories, pics, and anecdotes about beardies. I can't help myself, but I'll try. Thanks again for the warm welcome! ;D

Ericka

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Dragonslave- I've been reading your stories at work and it was a tear jerker I'm so glad you rescued GD from those horrible people. I'm a new owner myself and everyone tells me it will be some kind of journey. I'm loving my new beardies they are so funny. Sonnie she is very lay back but I do notice when she sees me holding Coletrain(named by my step son) she gives me this attitude and dirty looks. She needs all of my attention.

LeslieA

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi Dragonslave. Welcome I'm a new beardie owner and new to this site too. Sooo glad you were able to save Grampa. But I have to say that Phoenix is adorable. What can I say I like the roud bellies. ;D

Pinky

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Its good to know that there are people (like myself also) that will never mistreat their pets, and willing to stand up to people who care so little. Your dragons are beautiful, and hugs to them all, :-* xx

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hehehe..............great pics....................and awesome story.
Dragons are just like potato chips.......you can never have just one.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Nope... sometimes though.. you just have to say.. enough... for now ;)
lol
Janie.

ewood810

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ladyknite said:
hehehe..............great pics....................and awesome story.
Dragons are just like potato chips.......you can never have just one.

I couldn't agree with you more. I am already looking for another.....

Latest posts