• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello

Aimeelou785

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, my name is Aimee. I'm new to the forum so I just wanted to introduce myself. I've joined because I have a seriously ill beardie, who is undergoing treatment from the vet, and I just feel like I need some support from others who have dragons, or have gone through something similar.

He came to us as a rescue, and is having issues with worms, salmonella, and has something wrong with his liver. He has to have an exploratory op on Friday and I'm terrified. I'm finding it emotionally draining because I love the little dude (his name is Panda) as if he were my own child, and it's breaking my heart to see him this way :'( I'm not sure if this the right board to discuss him in detail, but I wanted to at least introduce myself first.

Thanks,
Aimee x

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum Aimee! Sorry it's not on more positive pretenses. I hope the operation goes smoothly and Panda starts recovering immediately

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Welcome to the forum, sorry it's not under better circumstances.

Other than a stubborn eater I haven't gone through anything serious with my beardies but I have had some issues with my cats and frogs. It's not fun when the little ones get sick and can't tell us what's going gone with them. To us they aren't "just dragons" they are a piece of our heart.

We are here if you need some support. Do you have a picture of Panda?

Aimeelou785

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you all :) I feel I'm in good company here, among people who understand how much these babies mean :) Here's a photo of the little guy, taken in February....
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427238917.472033.jpg

Sadly, he doesn't look like this now :( he's very thin, he's eyes have sunken in somewhat, and he can't hold himself up so easily. I'm doing my very best to take care of him - we have a complete food to mix up and syringe feed several times a day, and a little bit of baby food to make it more interesting, he gets a short bath twice a day, he gets cuddles too, and I still get him out of his viv everyday just to have a walk about if he wants too - he doesn't go far and he's a bit stumbly :-/ but he likes to sit in the sun by the patio doors :) he's very bright and quite feisty, so I'm trying to stay positive that'll he pull through :)

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We all understand how much you love him. You did come to the right place. Don't beat yourself up. He's with you because he needs to be with you. Give him your love and do the best you can. If you have any questions please ask

Aimeelou785

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you all for your kind words, they mean a lot. He really is the sweetest little thing! We found him on preloved while looking for a viv for one of our other beardies, and I fell in love with him instantly - we picked him up the next day! I would never normally buy an animal in that way, but in the pictures of his viv, it was obviously hand-made and not very well! When we got it home, it was worse than we thought! It had been made from what appeared to be an old wardrobe. Bits were hanging off and it was generally poorly constructed. We got him a new one immediately, and when we pulled the other one apart, the seams were clogged with what looked like poop and sand! :( when we first got him, he glass danced a lot, and was a bit anxious about being handled. He was previously with a young girl who didn't have him out or handle him often if at all, that's why he was for sale. I suppose at least she realised he needed better care. But the vet now thinks, due to his previous owner/set up, that's why he's ill now. We've had 12 months and he only started showing signs of illness several weeks ago, when they all started to brumate, and has deteriorated quickly since :( I'm trying not to beat myself up, I know I'm doing the best for him, I just hope it's enough. I'm off work today so I'm going to be giving him lots of cuddles before he has to have his op tomorrow. I'll let you all know at the weekend how he gets on. Thank you all again for being there, I really appreciate it :) xx

Aimeelou785

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello all. I'm afraid it's bad news :( the vets found a lot of growths on Panda's liver, it was much worse than he thought. Unfortunately he didn't come round from the anaesthetic. My baby is gone and I'm heartbroken. Thank you all so much for your kind words and support. I know I did the best I could for him, at least he isn't suffering anymore xx

Nichole1228

Juvenile Dragon
I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of Panda! Sounds like u gave him a great home and did everything u could for him! He was lucky to have u!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
So sorry to hear about Panda :( It's hard to lose a little one but just know that you did your best for him while you had him. There should be more people like you in the world.

Aimeelou785

Bearded Dragon Egg
You've all been so kind to me, I really can't thank you enough. Our vet asked if he could do a post-mortem as he really wanted to find out what was wrong. I was hesitant, but so little is really known medically about beardies, if it helps just one dragon get better in future, and saves one person the pain I'm feeling at the moment then his passing won't have been in vain.
We'll also get the results next week, by the sound of it though, he wouldn't have lived a lot longer. He was just too poorly. He went peacefully though and he was so very loved. It's a small consolation at least. Even the vet struggled to hold it together!
I'll let you know his pm results too, and anything the vet says.
Thank you all again xxx