• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello there, from Plano, Texas

Larsa

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone! I am happy to be here! Totally newbie here when it comes to beardies! I am looking into buying one soon, after my chameleon passes-he is super sick right now and isnt going to make it T~T luckily, I have a stash of Lindt chocolate bunnies to help ease the pain! We really shouldn't have gotten one, because he was a wild caught specimen who was already sick. I give him a few days. So heartbreaking! I really would love to get a bearded dragon as they are definitely easier than a cham from my rept friends on other reptile forums. In the past I have owned these reptiles: uromastyx ( my favorite!) chameleon, a few snakes, red ear slider turtle, salamanders, ALOT of anoles and geckos, and a classroom iguana =) I have a few questions about bearded dragons if thats ok!

-EDITED: I have a 18Wx18Lx24H screen cage from my chameleon, it that ok to use for a baby/juv beardie's first home? Obviously it will be sterilized and all the decor will be replaced! I see all kinds of desert set-up in glass terrariums, but its actually easier for me to achieve low humidity in the screen cage and I can always use reptile carpet for the bottom. I know these buggers love to cling and climb on stuff, and hopefully a metal screen cage is ok! Also I hope that those thick grapevine reptile plants and cork bark are good for them to climb!!

-do they actually drink from water dishes or do they drink driplets off of plants?

-are they quite easy to care for and hardy, as in, they wont stress out and die? I love playful lizards that can last me years :p I wouls also love to handle my future beardie I read up that they dont mind a little handling but I want to hear from yall!

- I feel like for the young ones, sand wouldnt bee a good idea is reptile carpet ok for them? Also I plan on getting a reptisun 10.0 UVA/UVB bulb if that bulb is ok to use for beardies.

-Supplements? with my small lizzies, I have used this supplement schedule and is it the same for bearded dragons:
Calcium WITHOUT D3 phosphorus free- regular feeding or 3x a week
Calcium WITH D3 phosphorus free- twice a month max
Herptivite Multivitamin- twice a month max

- I am guessing the babies will need less vegies/fruits than adults? Like... maybe a few times a week as treats making up mostly 20% of their diet?

- Do bearded dragons have to be sprayed daily, weekly, etc with also a 15 bath once a week? I read that they do take baths in 90F water for babies, 100F for adults idk if that is true, tell me! :p

- Do they recognise their owners and show compassion? My uromastyx did- I hope these guys are the same!!!

- is it best to avoid those electric heating rock because of thermal burn risks ?

**** thank you for viewing!!!!! I hope I can get my own bearded dragon baby sometime soon!!!

WatfordOleary17

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Welcome, sad news on ur Cham but that's the risk Ppl take wen taking from the wild. Beardies r great pets, both of mine react diff with me than other ppl so I think they do realize who u are to some point. As far as substrate is advise reading one of the older posts( there are many due to so much debate goes on ) pick one u feel comfortable with personaly. I use calci sand which although I have had No problems others have and I'm sure someone Will post telling u never to use it, but like everything If u feel comfortable and u keep an eye out for any of the signs things r going wrong ull b ok. My dragons have never drunk from the water bowl that I've seen, I make sure There food is well hydrated and gut loaded.

WatfordOleary17

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Oh n I wouldn't use anything that heats up and ur beardie Can get to it again there's posts on here u should look at regaurding burns created by heat rocks

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi Larsa,
4.jpg

Sorry to here about your Cham.
-I have a 18Wx18Lx39H screen cage from my chameleon, it that ok to use for a baby/juv beardie's first home? I see all kinds of desert set-up in glass terrariums, but its actually easier for me to achieve low humidity in the screen cage and I can always use reptile carpet for the bottom. I know these buggers love to cling and climb on stuff, and hopefully a metal screen cage is ok! Also I hope that those thick grapevine reptile plants and cork bark are good for them to climb!! The enclosure you are describing would not be acceptable for a BD for many reasons, there is a reason that you see glass/solid Vivs. A screened enclosure would not hold the required heat & be susceptible to unwanted drafts. BDs do well climbing up but will not back down as we would a ladder, consequently jump, fall sideways or backwards when they climb the sides & they will. Posing risk of injury from that height & very possibly catching/ripping out claws/toes. Adult BDs require a minimum of 4 square feet of floor area.
-do they actually drink from water dishes This varies from Dragon to Dragon, most do not recognize standing water. or do they drink driplets off of plants? They receive the majority of their hydration from their greens, regular body mistings & weekly warm soaks.

-are they quite easy to care for and hardy, as in, they wont stress out and die? I love playful lizards that can last me years :p I wouls also love to handle my future beardie I read up that they dont mind a little handling but I want to hear from yall! They are a hardy animal providing their husbandry is kept up to par/specs. BDs are well known for their ability to tolerate handling well, but are not Cats or Dogs & should not be treated as such. Most would just as well be left to themselves & extended time outside of the enclosure robs them of their required heat time for digestion & required UVB exposure.

- I feel like for the young ones, sand wouldnt bee a good idea is reptile carpet ok for them? Also I plan on getting a reptisun 10.0 UVA/UVB bulb if that bulb is ok to use for beardies. You are correct on both counts, providing it can get close enough to the UVB bulb at it's basking spot.

-Supplements? with my small lizzies, I have used this supplement schedule and is it the same for bearded dragons:
Calcium WITHOUT D3 phosphorus free- regular feeding or 3x a week All live prey should dusted.
Calcium WITH D3 phosphorus free- twice a month max 2-3 times a month to be on the safe side, but is not absolutely necessary if proper UVB & distances are provided.
Herptivite Multivitamin- twice a month max Weekly

- I am guessing the babies will need less vegies/fruits than adults? Like... maybe a few times a week as treats making up mostly 20% of their diet? Fresh greens should be provided daily, they will self regulate on their own, if sufficient regular daily Prey feedings are provided. Some don't take to their greens right off the start & this is normal, but should still be provided.

- Do bearded dragons have to be sprayed daily, weekly, etc with also a 15 bath once a week? I read that they do take baths in 90F water for babies, 100F for adults idk if that is true, tell me! :p Juveniles should be misted daily, weekly warm soaks, upped when shedding. I use the vicinity of Basking temps for bath temps. Some say test it on your skin as you would a Baby bottle.

- Do they recognise their owners and show compassion? My uromastyx did- I hope these guys are the same!!! Most do become familiar & more comfortable with their owners than strangers.

- is it best to avoid those electric heating rock because of thermal burn risks ? True

**** thank you for viewing!!!!! I hope I can get my own bearded dragon baby sometime soon!!!
And yes, I would not recommend the use of Calci-Sand for any age BD.

Good Luck in your future endeavors

Em Lynch

Juvenile Dragon
Welcome to the forums :) its nice to see new people joining! :D Bearded Dragon's definatley show compassion if raised properly and they have unique, pleasant personalities. I've found owning one very rewarding as they are sociable with people and enjoy being handled (but not too often!) as they won't get the benefit from their UV or heat in their viv. Resisting is hard sometimes :p

Latest posts