• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello, looking for help if I should get Beardie!

Drogon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi everyone, I was hoping to get some advice from all of you expert Bearded Dragon lovers and caretakers on if I should get one of these amazing animals. I am a 30yo that loves animals of all types but hasn't gotten a pet yet because of time concerns. I have a job that does require some travel. I live on Long Island but during the summer I drive four hours upstate to Saratoga and stay there for about six weeks. So a major concern is would the lizard travel well during a four hour car ride. In addition, I often make shorter trips, maybe 2-3 days where I would not be able to take the lizard with me. I live alone but do have housemates that might be able to feed the Beardie a few days while I am gone.

The flip side is that I love animals and am very responsible. I've already done hours of research on taking care of Beardies and even put together a comprehensive spreadsheet on what I need to purchase to create a proper habitat and feed a Beardie. I know that when I am home I would take the best possible care of the Dragon. But like I said, I am very hesitant due to the fact that I go to Saratoga for 6 weeks a summer and have to make some other short trips. I would be very upset if I wasn't giving the Beardie the proper attention.

All of you know what goes into maintaining a happy and healthy Beardie, which is the only way I would want to purchase one, so I was hoping for some help.

Thanks!

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi there and welcome to our forum. I think it is great that you are doing your homework and making the determination if a beardie is a right decision or not. I'm going to side step this one and let you make your own decision. I know, not what you are looking for.

I will say that if you do decide to get one and get one as a baby, make sure he or she is close to or over a year when you travel for 6 weeks. The car ride in the summer, would not be an issue.

I have heard success stories of folks traveling with their beardies. One thing that would be in the back of my mind is relocation stress. Would your beardie get stressed with each move it makes?

Another thing to consider is a baby needs to eat proteins 2-3 times per day and salad daily.

Hope this helps and good luck with your decision.

Jeebs24

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I'm new to owning a beardie but you sound like you would make a good caretaker. :)

Latest posts