• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello, I'm Rhiannon & I just bought my first beardie!

altars

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, I'm Rhiannon! I am aspiring reptile breeder and am going to college to be an exotic animal veterinarian. I've dreamt of becoming a veterinarian since I was a child but a few months ago I knew working with exotic animals is what I would enjoy the most. So, I'm on a six year journey to saving animals and working in a field I will always be happy in. My other hobbies include video games, art, and researching. Some say I never stop thinking and I can't help but agree. I always have a project going or something I want to start so I'm always researching how to do it.

I bought a baby beardie from petsmart (I know, I know!). I always loved reptiles since I was young and have had a sort of passion for snakes. However, my family is terribly afraid of snakes so I ended up turning my interests towards leopard geckos and bearded dragons. I bought a leopard gecko from a small pet store. It was thin at first but I thought nothing of it. Eventually though, it died because it wouldn't eat. I tried everything I could but I bought it (unknowingly at the time) unhealthy. I was heartbroken. I've done a lot of research since then though!

I went to petsmart this time hoping for a better experience and happened upon 'Tang' here (as I want to name him/her) clawing at the glass when I looked at him. Petco was right down the road so I went there after to compare health and living areas. Eventually I went back to Petsmart because the one here is so well kept. Tang scratched at the glass again when I walked by and I bought him immediately. I got him in a 10 gallon with a heating lamp (red bulb), water/food dish, paper towel bedding, and hide. I believe him to be a Tiger of some sort.

Eventually I'd love to breed leopard geckos but I'd have to wait until I could afford a pair from a reputable breeder. I already studied genetics with a professor at my college on my own time and breeders on other forums as well as my own research of course. I found out my biology room at campus actually has two leopard geckos! The professor I was working with told me that one had died and always seemed to be running in circles. I told him it was probably an enigma and probably had E.S. Felt good to know what I was talking about and to teach a college professor something. :3

Seeing how well me and 'Tang' are doing, I might change my mind to beardies. I mean, he already hand-fed today (I got him two days ago) and always wants to hang with me outside of his cage. He likes climbing on the keyboard and sleeping in his water/food dish! He's quite a character, but, of course I did pick him because of his personality (or he picked me rather, because that's more accurate). He's fun to watch. Whenever I put him back in his cage he spazzes out and runs everywhere. Makes me laugh! xD

I'm working on getting a leopard gecko at the moment and eventually I would like a snake (wanted one since I was 7). Once I'm finished with college and get my own home I want to have a house constructed so I have my own perfect reptile room.

Hope to meet some nice people here and learn a lot of things from experienced members. Feel free to ask questions and comment if you have any advice for someone who is new to beardies.

beardie.jpg

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome2a.jpg

Hi Rhiannon,

Some info that you need to know.

1: You did not mention providing a UVB Bulb. This is necessary, not an option & needs to be provided ASAP ...
2: A 10 gallon enclosure is not big enough for any age BD. There is no possible way to provide the necessary heat gradient of 25-30*F in the few inches a 10 gallon allows. 110*F @ Basking Spot with a heat gradient to 80*F-85*F @ the coolest area of the enclosure. The minimum recommended sized enclosure to start out with is a 20 gal.
3: BDs thrive on bright white light, using a white or clear bulb for heat is a much better choice.

A few good links to help get you started ...

Basic BD Care Sheet - A Place To Start

Bearded Dragon --- Exclusive Care Info Library

Beautiful Dragons Nutrition Chart

Is Bearded Dragon Co-habitation a good plan?

How To Sex A Bearded Dragon

It's a beautiful Dragon ...

Good Luck

altars

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you! I realize I need the uvb as well, I'm working on it. The red bulb was originally for my leo so I didn't buy one. x3 I'm actually working on a 30 gallon atm. I just have to hear back from someone. :) Thanks for the info!

ianedward1

Hatchling Dragon
As always, Germ is quick to provide info lol. You aren't the only one who has enjoyed being able to start up reptiles once being out into the college life. I had a rescued a Jackson's Chameleon and a Leopard Gecko during my junior year in college and have been stuck since. Hopefully your college will have the Herpetology, Parasitology, Zoology, and Microbiology courses that will help make you a better keeper as mine did. Feel free to ask any questions you may have!

altars

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you everyone! :) I am moving to UC Davis/Cal Poly when I finish my 4 years here. They are the best veterinary schools in the state and have all of those courses. :) He doesn't eat unless it's out of my hand. It's weird, he sleeps on his food but doesn't eat it without me holding it. lol.

Latest posts