• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello everyone

atomicfriday

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all, I’m Shannon I’m 34 and I live on the central gulf coast of Florida. I had a number of different herps as a teenager, but have been out of it for some years. I purchased an adult rescue dragon, she will be here this upcoming Tuesday so she does not have a name yet. Apparently she was found by someone and then brought to a reptile store, where I found her online. I have a 48x20x20 PVC enclosure that will be her home, and I will be making it a bioactive one with a variety of living plants and also some insect life in the form of isopods and springtails. I believe I have everything I need on the way, and am excited to build it up and share. Thanks for having me!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi all, I’m Shannon I’m 34 and I live on the central gulf coast of Florida. I had a number of different herps as a teenager, but have been out of it for some years. I purchased an adult rescue dragon, she will be here this upcoming Tuesday so she does not have a name yet. Apparently she was found by someone and then brought to a reptile store, where I found her online. I have a 48x20x20 PVC enclosure that will be her home, and I will be making it a bioactive one with a variety of living plants and also some insect life in the form of isopods and springtails. I believe I have everything I need on the way, and am excited to build it up and share. Thanks for having me!
Welcome --- your UVB and surface basking temps are crucial to the over all dragons health and behavior--- NO coils for UVB please and you want 2 digital probe thermometers for accurate temps - here is a website for nutrition and plants for your tank scroll to the bottom of the page for those
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
If you need more help please ask

atomicfriday

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you for that, I have a ceramic heat emitter for heat and this bulb for UV:

MAINENG UVA UVB Bulb for Reptiles & Amphibians, 8525 LED Lamp with UV Light https://a.co/d/fVTcl2c

I have four ballasts built into my enclosure, so I can add up to two more bulbs if need be. I can’t remember the strength of the CHE but it gets -hot- . There is a built in temp/humidity gauge in the enclosure but I will buy a gun to verify temps of all areas. I’ve been doing quite a bit of reading on the plant front, and I have a spineless cactus, echeveria, aloe, stonecrop, dwarf jade and a series of varying air plants. My substrate will be a coconut, Australian sand mix with worm castings. Topped first inch or so with just sand.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you for that, I have a ceramic heat emitter for heat and this bulb for UV:

MAINENG UVA UVB Bulb for Reptiles & Amphibians, 8525 LED Lamp with UV Light https://a.co/d/fVTcl2c

I have four ballasts built into my enclosure, so I can add up to two more bulbs if need be. I can’t remember the strength of the CHE but it gets -hot- . There is a built in temp/humidity gauge in the enclosure but I will buy a gun to verify temps of all areas. I’ve been doing quite a bit of reading on the plant front, and I have a spineless cactus, echeveria, aloe, stonecrop, dwarf jade and a series of varying air plants. My substrate will be a coconut, Australian sand mix with worm castings. Topped first inch or so with just sand.
Ok so first you need a solid bright white basking bulb --- CHE's are good for heat at night not basking - they provide NO UVA -- examples are Exo Terra Intense - Arcadia Halogen - or Flukers basking bulb -- the UVB is something I have never seen or heard of please get one of the following UVB's--- posting links these are the best on the market
https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...o-med-reptisun-t5-hood?variant=26907425734756 you will need to get the 22" Reptisun bulb for this fixture there is a 5.0 bulb that comes w/ it
this one you can find at Pet Smart if you have one 24 watt 12% bulb
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...v-b-kit-65058.html?cgid=500114&fmethod=Browse or this one
https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster...mp.html?opts=eyJhdHRyaWJ1dGU5MDEiOiI2NjEwIn0= you want the 24" or 2 ft one-- you will need to replace the bulb w/ the Reptisun posted above --
you want 2 digital probe thermometers -- they are the most accurate IR guns cannot read off of certain basking materials -- I am no good w/ bioactive tanks -- please visit the this website for help and ideas
https://www.thebiodude.com/
I dont think you want real dry substrate - too dry and dusty will cause RI's --- your hygrometer I am not sure of either -- I have never heard of them being already installed like that -- I use a probe placed on the center back wall of the tank this one https://dubiaroaches.com/products/exo-terra-digital-hygrometer?_pos=1&_sid=ac857912b&_ss=r
that one placed in the tank already is only going to give you ambient temps --- you need a probe to place on the spot where the dragon sits for basking to get accurate temps -- they should be 95-100 and you do not want temps at night over 75 - optimal temps for night are 65-75 and dark NO lights --- optimal humidity is 40-50% nothing under 20 and over 70% too low of humidity will cause RI's and they need the humidity w/ shedding --

atomicfriday

Bearded Dragon Egg
A T5 isn’t doable, the top is solidly screwed to the sides of the tank and I have ballasts already installed for single bulbs. If you have suggestions that would work for this set up, I am listening. I will get a basking bulb as well.

Attachments

• 43E8AD47-20A6-4DB8-9585-F58B7961F734.jpeg
    43E8AD47-20A6-4DB8-9585-F58B7961F734.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A T5 isn’t doable, the top is solidly screwed to the sides of the tank and I have ballasts already installed for single bulbs. If you have suggestions that would work for this set up, I am listening. I will get a basking bulb as well.
It needs to go inside the tank - how tall is the tank please?

atomicfriday

Bearded Dragon Egg
Total height is 20”, but the lights combined with substrate and elevated areas the dragon will be closer to the sources.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Total height is 20”, but the lights combined with substrate and elevated areas the dragon will be closer to the sources.
That is easy to fix -- use lower decor --- this is imperative to the dragon w/ out correct UVB he will not survive-- figure out a way to get hooks into the lid / top and hang directly above the basking decor piece 12-15 inches -- you can use long plastic zip ties --- picture wire hangers I recommend those or fishing ling or 3 M Velcro hangers --- what your using for a UVB your dragon will not live ---

atomicfriday

Bearded Dragon Egg
I’m not sure how I would be able to install a T5 hood, as the top is affixed via screws and is solid. There’s really no bulbs satisfactory that I can use with the ballasts currently installed? Out of curiosity, do you happen to know or know of a source that names the UV levels at which distances that are required? I didn’t see the levels listed for the reptisun bulb. I do appreciate your help.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I’m not sure how I would be able to install a T5 hood, as the top is affixed via screws and is solid. There’s really no bulbs satisfactory that I can use with the ballasts currently installed? Out of curiosity, do you happen to know or know of a source that names the UV levels at which distances that are required? I didn’t see the levels listed for the reptisun bulb. I do appreciate your help.
Solar meter 6.5L- they are spendy - please get the top off - or take the doors off and install the fixture that way- but the best uvb is the long tube fixtures - you want a hood w/ a reflector all the fixtures have reflectors that I posted-

atomicfriday

Bearded Dragon Egg
Solar meter 6.5L- they are spendy - please get the top off - or take the doors off and install the fixture that way- but the best uvb is the long tube fixtures - you want a hood w/ a reflector all the fixtures have reflectors that I posted-
I meant more so where the outputs and distances were listed for the reptisun bulbs, as I assume these have been tested? I read that I could Velcro the T5 but is that really trustworthy? I would hate for it to fall onto her, but that seems to be the only one way. I suppose I could return the bulb I currently have, it cost almost the same as the third fixture.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I meant more so where the outputs and distances were listed for the reptisun bulbs, as I assume these have been tested? I read that I could Velcro the T5 but is that really trustworthy? I would hate for it to fall onto her, but that seems to be the only one way. I suppose I could return the bulb I currently have, it cost almost the same as the third fixture.
Yes those and the Arcadia 12% bulbs have been tested- you can use picture wire or long plastic zip ties - I personally would use the picture wire

atomicfriday

Bearded Dragon Egg
I put an order in, should be here Sunday. I’ll utilize the other ballasts to help keep the plants happy. Also thank you Yvonne for the warm welcome, I appreciate it.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I put an order in, should be here Sunday. I’ll utilize the other ballasts to help keep the plants happy. Also thank you Yvonne for the warm welcome, I appreciate it.
I put an order in for ???????????????

Latest posts