• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello everyone, new member.

Shadowstar27

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello everyone, new member here hailing from central California, Sacramento area.

I'll try to keep any questions to a minimum here in the introduction and in the future post them in the appropriate sub-forums, though I do have a couple of immediate questions if you would all bear with me.

I just got my first dragon Nigel, on Halloween, and I have to say I think he is the coolest most charismatic critter I have ever had the privileged of caring for. I took him off the hands of someone that for whatever reason just didn't want him anymore. Not judging at least they had the decency to find him a new home instead of just letting him waste away.

I was told when I got him that he was around 4-5 months old so 5-6 months now. I haven't actually measured him yet but he looks to be about 6 1/2"-7" SVL, and I would say 14-15 overall. Does this sound about right?
As for weight again I haven't measured (can anyone recommend a good accurate and fairly inexpensive scale?) so I really have no clue how much he weighs. When I got him he looked a little skinny to me particularly around the shoulders (comparing to pictures of other dragons) but he has filled out quite a bit in the past month and is looking better.
Does anyone know of any growth charts I could reference to so I know about where he should be with size and weight?
He is mostly eating just crickets (calcium 5 times a week and vitamin 2 times a week and gut loaded of course), but every once in a while he will take some collard greens and he ate one blackberry once.
About what age do they usually transition to a more vegetable less animal diet, and can anyone offer any suggestions on how to go about this transition?

I have my work cut out for me setting up a better habitat for him but that's a big part of the fun of herps in my opinion. When I got him, he was on calcium sand with ceramic tile underneath that (yeah I don't get it either), needless to say the sand is gone now but I am a bit concerned that the tile is grinding his nails down too much. So I am on the fence about what to do for substrate and may just switch to paper towels or newspaper(is the ink bad?) until I can find a better solution. I have some natural stone (travertine) tiles that I think would look great however they are too large for his current tank and I don't have a tile saw or grinder to trim them with, so that will have to wait until a larger tank probably within the next few months.

All in all Nigel seems to be happy and healthy. He is very active and alert, a little shy about being held, not aggressive at all but not exactly calm either, I am working on that. He definitely knows when it is feeding time and recognizes me as the feeder. It makes me smile every time he see's me with the crickets he runs down off his basking perch tail and head up and takes a pose ready to spring into action.

I am not sure what morph he is or who the breeder he came from was, but I am pretty sure he is not just a standard beardie. All the previous owner knew was "red", yeah that helps :rolleyes:.
(edit) Reading up on morphs I suppose he could be and most likely is just a regular beardie, I was confusing morph with coloring.

https://plus.google.com/photos/106488668262293097125/albums/5670472979169799969
Let me know if the link doesn't work or if you need a G+ account to view it, I haven't tried to post a link to a Google+ album before other than on G+ itself.

The pictures aren't that great and at this point he was still on the calci sand that had stained his legs :( . He just shed for the first time since I got him the other day, WOW he has some pretty colors! I'll try and get some better pics asap.

sixfeetunder

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Im putting my beardie onto tile. If it trims his nails too much that may be why his previous owners had sand in there.
If his nails are going wayyy too short maybe put an old tshirt in there ive heard some like to burrow in the shirts :)
I wouldnt use news paper but thats me all over really dont like things that worry me :rolleyes: Anyway hope i helped, im not good with weights x

Shadowstar27

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yeah I really don't know what the logic behind the tile under the sand was lol. The tiles in question are really smooth on the top side so he had a hard time getting traction and really rough on the bottom like sand paper, after about a week his little pinky toe nails were almost down to the quick. Now he is just on paper towels which I think I will stick with until I can get his adult viv built at which point I will probably try either slate or some tumbled travertine that has some nice texture but isn't too rough. I have seen a few people mention blankets for them I'll give that a try see if he likes it.

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi Mathew

Welcome to forum and the life of a Beardy Slave.

With regards to the Protein/Veg appitite, they tend to really make a change around 12 - 15 months old. now that isn't written in stone and can be different for each dragon. Looking at your pictures you little does seem a bit thin (although seems to havea great length). At his age make sure you are feeding him Protein 2 times day as much as he wants in 15 minutes, keep your dusting the same for 1 of the 2 feedings each day. Also keep giving him the salad every day as well, one of these days you will see a switch and he start eating more greens.

When it comes to the tiles, I use them and yes my guys nails are kept worn. it is actually (in my Opion) the easiest way to keep them trimmed. although the nails are close to the quick, I have never seen them bleed or casue him to favor one foot/toe or another. With all that said paper towel. news paper or non-adesive shelf liner are all good alternatives.

I have this helps.

Shadowstar27

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thank you.

Yeah I am feeding him twice a day 10-12 about 1/2-1 inch crickets per feeding, dusted in the morning with calcium 5 days and multivitamins 2 days a week. He seems to be growing well and filling out more, still a little skinny around the ribs I think, but better than he was. Other than that he seems a happy healthy little guy active, vibrant colors, poops regularly etc.
Tried snap peas today and he seemed to really like them, I think mostly cause they bounced and rolled so he could chase them lol. Think I will use them during play time let him chase after them and get some exercise.

Tanya

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Your question about how to weigh your bearded dragon, I would try getting a small kitchen scale ( the kind you weigh out vegetables and such). You can usually find them cheap and easy to use. I use one for my Zeke and all my ball pythons and it is great.

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum. You sound like you are doing a great job looking after your little guy. I just use a small set of digital scales to weigh my brood & they are great, you can usually pick them up cheap from ebay

Latest posts