• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello ALL!

joy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi I am new to the forum and I have a question. I am wondering how many other beardie owners out there can only get there dragon to eat one thing. "FALCOR" is 4 years old and I've had him for 1 1/2 yrs. He will only eat superworms. I have tried to offer him all kinds of foods listed on and off the food list in all those books and sites. He is healthy, happy, sheds about 1x every 7 months and his "deposits" are perfect. I don't even know if this is an issue with his health so I was just wondering if there are others out there that could shine some light on this. Thank you in advance and I am looking forward to checking out the rest of the site.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, Joy and welcome to our forum. I moved your post to our Diet board so that your questions will get the visibility it needs from our members.

So, he won't eat phoenix worms, crickets, silkworms, roaches, etc? Does he eat his salad?

Do you know if all he ate were superworms with his previous owner?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm trying to gage his life's diet. I'm not certain about the one type of protein for an extended period of time. I've been told that they need variety in their diets to get all the necessary nutrients.

BTW...love the word 'deposits'!

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome aboard. Sometimes a dragon just develops a taste for a certain food. I have one dragon that will only eat roaches, and collard greens. Dont dare put a cricket or turnip greens in there cause you will get the stink eye.

joy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thank you for moving my post. He only eats the Superworms, and won't touch his salad even if I mix worms in there or try to hand feed it all wrapped up. He is very talented in getting only the worms. I have tried all of the other proteins and veggies. I even try to feed them in all the ways possible...raw, cooked, steamed, grocery store, farm bought, burrito style, powdered, and several types of lizard "kibble". The previous owner gave me no info about his diet and I never saw them come into my pet store (where I worked when he and his tank were dropped off) to get food, live or otherwise. I am afraid that eating only the worms is going to cause him long term health problems. He looks great and has a wonderful personality so I am wondering (and crossing my fingers) that he may be the exception for whatever reason. Everything I read says I am doing him harm. I will keep trying though so any suggestions will be considered.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Poor little guy. Sounds like he is in great hands now. Hats off to you for taking him in.

All I can think of is to suggest to keep trying. Keep offering the salad daily. A lot of beardies love butternut squash. Try putting some of that in there. One thing to consider is to yank the proteins until he eats some salad. This was recommended by my vet when Bernie protested salad. It is totally your call. My vet's philosophy was - if they are hungry enough, they will eat anything.

Another thought is that beardies tend to stick to a certain food and then want nothing to do with it. For example, they eat only crickets for a couple of months/years. Then decide they don't want another cricket and will only eat phoenix worms.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Princess never saw salad when I bought her from the pet store. I got her to eat it by stopping live feeders for a couple days and offering only collard greens mustard greens mixed with mango and strawberry. It worked she now clears her greens daily

joy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thank you, I will try that and let you all know how he does.

rugbychic07

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
bubba ended up befriending his crickets and only eating superworms then a few weeks later befriended the superworms and only ate the crickets right now he is back to the superworms but never turns down a salad w/ a fruit topping or grasshoppers not as nutritional as live crickets but a treat once in a while once he starts eating other stuff give him a treat afterwards and maybe he will figure the two things go together "if i eat only superworms i dont get treats, i guess then ill start eating whatever daddy gives me"

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sounds like Dr. Evil. Back in 07 when i first got him from LOD he had been raised on Crix so i fed him Crix. Then one day he just stopped eating entirely. I had no idea what to do i tried a few feeders than found discoid roach nymphs which he loved so i bought a bunch and started a colony. he decided he didnt like them any longer after a year. I moved to dubia and he ate em for a while than decided he didnt like them. I am now at the point with him where if it is not a worm he will not eat it. Now my other three dragons and all my babies are garbage disposals and will eat anything.

joy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
UPDATE : I stopped with the worms on the 8th and didn't offer anything (food wise) the next 2 days. Yesterday the 11th, I got some butternut squash and apples, some berries and green leaf lettuce. This morning...he was hungry and waiting for me so I thought it would be the best time to give him a salad. So, I shredded it all up after washing it and offered it to him he ran over to it and I started handing him some of it. He likes to be hand fed, I think its the angle. HE SPIT IT OUT! Ugh! so I left it in there and he moved away from it and pouted as usual..for worms. So I put it on his head thinking he would try to get it off. I should have known he wouldn't because he lets crickets sit up there. So I took a pic for you all and I will hold off till tomorrow, leaving the salad in there, and will most likely feed him the worms I've been fattening up with pellets and oatmeal. I hope you don't think bad of me for "starving" him this long...I've never gone this long. He will be happy tomorrow, I'm sure! So does anyone have thoughts that maybe since he is a male and a "primitive" creature, the worms alone are ok? He is just so tame and fun to hold after he has a belly full of worms..I love that about him. Maybe it could be his age (4yrs.)? or size (16")? I will continue to offer him fresh foods because it sounds like your dragons stick to one thing and then decide one day to want something else. Thank you for sharing your stories.
DSC03075.jpg

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don't think it is cruel. You are looking out for him and trying to get him to eat a balanced diet. I say keep trying. It may be too late, but he may come around.

Latest posts