• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello all

mrfish690

Bearded Dragon Egg
hi all im a newbie to bearded dragons and am looking for any help and advise people have to offer. i have in the past kept snakes but want something different and love the idea of bearded dragons as im totally obsesed with dragons so its the closest thing i will ever get to owing one (bit sad i know lol). just purchased a second hand viv from a friend but only has a basking light in it im guessing i need another light in there so wot do i need?? also wot sort of age dragon is best to start with a baby or one thats maybe a year old??? i look forward to your comments and maybe getting to know a few people :)

Pat B

Super Moderator
Welcome to BDF! You will need a 10.0 UVB light. How big is your viv? Can't advise you on age. I purchased mine when he was a couple of months. He is about 5 months now, has an attitude, a stubby tail, and marches to the beat of his own drum....:rolleyes: Seriously....I have truly enjoyed my little Spike and learning how to take care of him....I sure hope he appreciates it!! Good luck and ask away with your questions. Many people here with good information:D

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
WelcometoBDF1.jpg

As far as what age to get to start, that is personal preference. Getting a Baby you get to experience the more active part of their life, watch phenomenally fast they grow, etc. They are much more expensive to feed, need more care. Adults are pretty laid back, easier & cheaper to keep.

Here are some links with pertinent information that you may find very helpful & answer the majority of your questions. Read them over, if there are things that you don't understand or have further questions, feel free to ask.

Bearded Dragon Basic Care Guide

Exclusive Bearded Dragon Care Info Library

Beautiful Dragons Nutrition Chart

Cohabitation

Good Luck in your choices

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
i got mine as a baby, they are much more active like others have said. i would say its good to start with a baby as you get to know them their whole life.

welcome BTW

Latest posts