• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Heating up wooden enclosures

Reptilelady86

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello everyone,
I took a trip with my beardie to the vet. He mentioned that "he" is, in fact, a female. I was originally calling him "Dyno" so now her new name is "Dyna". A few things he pointed out as far as recommendations. I had a wooden enclosure and originally had it cut out the tops for more airflow. Now that it is winter getting into colder months. I have closed off the top but the vet said, needs more ventilation. He also mentioning about under the tank heat pads? How would this work for a wooden enclosure? I mentioned to him about using a ceramic heat emitter and he just looked like he had no idea what they were. Also, I was using ceramic tiles for the substrate and he said, tile gets extreme temperatures so better off using reptile carpet. Problem with that is sometimes their nails get snagged. So whats the best way to fix these little issues?

Attachments

• 92311-3446503235_large.jpg
    92311-3446503235_large.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 92311-9892796883_large.jpg
    92311-9892796883_large.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 39

Reptilelady86

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
By the way, I have two UVB's for her, Reptisun 10.0 T5HO and the Mega-Ray Bulb. She seems to enjoy the mega ray a lot better.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Doesn't sound like you went to an exotic vet. Every reptile vet should know what a CHE is and that under the tank heaters are BAD for bearded dragons. To add more ventilation I would add vents to the other sides of the tank. Tile is perfectly fine. They are far enough away from the heat source to get too hot. If the Mega Ray isn't getting the basking temp hot enough, you may need to get a higher wattage or a higher basking spot that will get her closer to the light.

Reptilelady86

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks, PatsyB. Yeah, that's what got me puzzled. I am like really? Every vet should know what a CHE is at least. He was completely confused about the Mega-Ray. He is like you should have the Reptisun and didn't even clearly say which one T8 or T5HO well I already know the answer but he doesn't know much about lighting at all clearly.

Latest posts