• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Heating question

Huxei121

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I'm planning on getting a baby bearded dragon but while I'm at school from 8 am to about noon, I have to turn off everything which would include a heat lamp. Would that be fine to turn off for a couple hours? To keep warmth I was considering a couple bricks to radiate some heat in that time.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
They really do need to be on a cycle that stays consistent. Turning lights on an off during the day will confuse them. Plus if you planned to feed it in the morning you would need to allow it to have at least 2 hours of basking heat to digest it's food. They only know how to regulate heat that comes from over their head.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They really do need the consistent lighting and heating schedule of nature, or you run into a dragon that will be sick, not grow well, could easily get developmental issues... Heating up bricks can easily cause burns...And like Patsy said they physically need the sun and heat from above to digest their food and utilize the nutrients from the food that is aided by the UVB bulbs.
I know you mean well but if you can't keep their lights on a natural "wild" timeline maybe they are not the pet for your needs. Just giving my opinion for the well being of them.

Huxei121

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok, well my girlfriend lives right down the street and I can leave it on all day there, I'll just do that then. Thanks

Latest posts