• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Heating pad

JennahS

Bearded Dragon Egg
So my bearded dragons heating pad got sand on it from when I was cleaning it. Now it wont stick to the underside of his tank. Any ideas in what I could do to stick it back. Or any other idea on how i could use it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
It would be best for your beardie to get rid of both the heat mat and the sand. Beardies can't feel how hot their bellies are, so they can easily get burned. You need proper overhead lighting for heat, instead. The sand is an impaction risk. You want a substrate that is not loose and can't be swallowed, like tiles or even paper towels.

If you have other reptiles you'd still like to use the heat mat for, you can cover the sticky side with foil tape. This allows you to still place it under a tank without it having to be adhered. I do this for my snakes. It's nice because you can easily move them around or clean the tub without worrying about getting it wet, since it's not adhered to the tub.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Don't trust heat pads, you dont need them. Use a CHE (ceramic heating element) if you need the heat, put it on a thermostat so things dont get too hot.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes beardies can not feel heat from below on their bellies they only sense heat (sun) from above. So if you need more heat use a CHE, the basking bulb and the UVB bulb give them what they need. And yes loose substrate of any kind has impaction risks and bacteria build up.

Latest posts