• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Heating issues

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
Hi , my name is Michelle . Im new to this forum and im looking for some help on getting the temp right in my tank. My girl Honey Ryuu is about 1 1/2 yrs old. Heres a run down of what i've got ...
40 g breeder tank , reptisun hood with a reptisun 10 uvb fluo. tube ( on top of screen, I now know it should be mounted inside but its to big and i spent alot of money on it so i want to use it a little longer) . I just recently got a digital prob thermometer / hygrometer. First the humidity is reading 10% should this be higher ? My real problem is the heating , i've used reptisun and exo terra basking bulbs 100 watt and my temps are 115- 116 way to high she wasnt staying on her basking spot. So i im now trying a reptisun basking 75 watt and its reading 105 - 106 . Id like to have it about 100. Should i try a 50 watt ? I also wanted to try the halogen flood light but dont know what kind to buy. Ive looked at them and some of them have a coil bulb inside , i think it was a GE brand Some advice would be great, thanks.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks for answering so quickly as i am going to the store now. Any recommendations on the brand of flood lights to buy and should that coil bulb be inside it ? will the flood light fit in a mini dome or would i have to buy a large dome for it ?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Personally I use Philips Brand Halogen Flood Bulbs (Not the Halogena) for heat in all my enclosures that I purchase at Home Depot for less than half the price of Pet store bulbs & in my opinion do a better job. Bright whiter light, more heat per watt, therefore cheaper to run also. There are many variables that will affect what wattage will be required. like ambient room temp, screened or not, the density of the screen, distance to the basking spot & the list goes on. I would guess that a 50W halogen would likely be what you would want to try first, if that is the route you want to go. They will fit in the Mini-dome. A bigger bulb will likely require a bigger fixture, but that is something you will have to check out.

Latest posts