• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Heating at night!?

ZiggyTheDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello all, I have a 2 year old female bearded dragon named ziggy and I am wondering how the lighting should be at night. I have a red heat bulb 75 watts which keeps the basking spot at around 38/40 Celsius. I have been told it is better to turn off the heat source at night but I live in Melbourne and am unsure if the temperature will drop too low for ziggy. Advice is much appreciated!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
That's too hot at night. You want to let it drop down to about 24, 20 celsius at the lowest. Some people say that the red light could interfere with their sleep.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Well how cold is it in your house at night? Typically whatever your household temp at night should be fine.

ZiggyTheDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
I can also set the infrared light to come on when the temp drops to below 20 and then cut off once it's above 20, would this be ok too?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I can also set the infrared light to come on when the temp drops to below 20 and then cut off once it's above 20, would this be ok too?

Yeah that would probably be easier than wrapping the tank every night.

ZiggyTheDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
I done both! Just to be safe, I placed the thermometer thing in the middle of the tank, so I guess it will be a bit warmer at his heat spot.

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
Wot do u use to measure ur temps? Id go for a heat emitter rather than infer red they dnt want or need light at night a heat emitter only lets of heat no light ;)

Latest posts