• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Heating A 280 Gallon Tank

Ashytree

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey! :)
My grandpa built a 280.5 gallon tank for my beardie and I don't know what heat lamps (wattage and whatnot) to get. The tank is about 5'8" tall and has a two foot gap between hot high my beardie can go and when the heat lamps would be at the top. I am not concerned about the bottom being too cold if the gentle under-vivarium heaters are a safe choice. My main concerns are heat lamps and proper UVB.
Thank you so much for your time!!

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome. that's a HUGE viv !! would you mind posting a photo? typically, vivs for beardies are longer than they are tall - beardies will climb, but they are more on the ground. That tall a viv might be better suited for something else. but - lets work with it. might want to section it off - like have 2 "floors" for him to explore. a photo would help, please

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Agreed that's big :) a big thing about having a tall tank is 1. hard to heat 2. can hurt the dragon when they fall (they will fall eventually)
Don't put a UTH (under tank heater) as beardies can not sense heat from their bellies they only feel the heat from above so they can burn their bellies.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
That was nice of your grandfather to build that for you but I do agree with the others. It's way too high for a bearded dragon. NOW, he could put a shelf in the middle and you could have TWO viv's and get 2 dragons...i'm just saying :)

Ashytree

Bearded Dragon Egg
Dividing it into two sections sounds like an easy fix; she'd have two houses which us cool. The dimensions are 36in wide, 27in deep 45in to top perch from bottom and 24in from top mesh (where I'll put the lights) to top perch.

Attachments

• 1481663262346-1904699208.jpg
    1481663262346-1904699208.jpg
    690.6 KB · Views: 51

Ashytree

Bearded Dragon Egg
I forgot to add: I'm doubling the boards you see in width since they are too narrow and might be adding 'reptile ladder' mesh all down the sides.

Ashytree

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just want Goonie to have a dragon castle since my first beardie, Roo, was a failure to thrive from PetCo. After experiencing that, I want Goonie to be happy, healthy and spoiled rotten. ;)