• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Heat

beardieluver

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I recently built my beardie a cage (30x52x20) it doesn't seem to hold any heat at all. Since i live in Minnesota i had a ceramic heat emitter in it, but that seemed to do nothing. For the meantime i put him back in his old cage. Is there anyway i can keep the heat in ???

beardieluver

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Wood, we redid an old cabinet.....not exactly sure what the wood is but it's pretty thick...Has plexi-glass front opening doors and two large vents on both sides

beardieluver

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yea i could try that :\...i was thinking of doing that but then i was worried about covering them up all the way and not letting any air pass through....

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You might want to check with Beardielover17 or Zebraflavencs. They have both made vivs out of old furniture.

beardieluver

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I am think i will try covering one side when he moves back in this weekend...and if that doesn't work i will ask them ans see what they think...thanks for all the help :D

Also what wattage of basking light should i be using..the one i was using before just didn't seem to get hot enough or i really need to replace my thermometer lol

beardieluver

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I was using a basking light my mom got me at the pet store for my old smaller cage so i was using a household 100 wattage i then just put him in his old cage about a day after so that i could find out how hot of one i needed. The thermometer is an old reptile sun one i believe i had it when i first got him...i am looking to upgrade to a new digital one though

Twobeardieguy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Well the basking lights you get at the pet stores only directs heat in one spot. Try a 100w halogen outside bulb. That will put heat farther out to the side. Also you can pick up an acurite thermometer from wallmart for 12 bucks. It has the wire probe on it. Good luck. ;)

beardieluver

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks ;D i will look into that and i will definatly think about getting that lightbulb i think that will work better for the lighting set up i have

beardieluver

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I did put an additional light on the other side of the cage. His hot side is now in the 100's his cool side is around 80. At night i cover one vent his temps are great now. Thanks for all the help :)

Latest posts