• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Heat question

aiden1024

Hatchling Dragon
I just got my beardies today and I just looked at the digital thermometer and it was high 70s
I have them in a 55 gallon glass tank
Using a red light for heat that I was told to get for the leopard geckos
I have a 10.0 uvb bulb
Should I switch out the tank tomorrow for a 40 gallon or a 20 long?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk 2

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, what is the age of your dragon? A 40 breeder is good for a juvenile to adult and a 20 long would be good for a dragon that is young than 5 months. Id suggest taking the red light off the dragon. In nature, dragons use the sun to heat up. So naturally a white light would attract them to a basking spot. Depedning on your house temps will decide the wattage but a flood or halogen or even a normal house bulb will work.

aiden1024

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you for the reply
I was told to use the red heat bulb by my local exotic pet shop
They are very young. ..I posted a pic in the pic section
The only issue I have with the 20 gallon is I don't have a top for it
And what do I do for night time? Don't they need a light at night?

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unfortunately the pet store did not give proper advice.
You will need to separate them as soon as possible.From your other post each would do well in a 20L.
They do climb and jump very well. A top is a must.
No lights at night ;)

aiden1024

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you very much. ....I will be separating them tomorrow
Or do you think they will be ok with one another for a week until I get the viv built to separate them

aiden1024

Hatchling Dragon
They are really good with eachother
Just chill all day long
As soon as I figure out my temp issue then they will be separated

ravenwolf

Juvenile Dragon
I find a 42 watt bulb keeps my guys at 38-40 degrees for the basking spot in each of their vivs, it gets switched off at night (on at about 9am off at 9pm) and they do fine at the moment with no heat during the night, i plan to use either a low wattage ceramic or red night light bulb simply just to keep the heat up at about 18-20 degrees but this might not be necessary depends how cold the room gets.

aiden1024

Hatchling Dragon
Right now the thermometer is reading 90 degrees on the log
Last night it dropped in the low 70s cause that's what my central is set at
The red light it totally use less I have a red and a blue bulb
So I put a 65 watt white bulb in the fixture

blazedragon

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
i would get those temps up to 105-110 for youngsters. most of use use regular halogen bulbs for heat,i use a 75 watt spot one on a dimmer, and it keeps cjs temps perfect.

aiden1024

Hatchling Dragon
I was just at Wal-Mart looking at bulbs and I was over whelmed with all the different ones
Both of them had pooped already
So their digesting their food. ...but today they will not eat anything.

aiden1024

Hatchling Dragon
proper temps help with everything juvys are supposed to be at 105-110 for basking spot temps.

I am well aware of that....lol
It's just finding the right bulb and I was hoping someone would tell me what watt bulb in a white that I'll need

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We all have to play with different types, wattages & distances to the basking spot of heat bulbs to suit our particular setups. There are so many variables that come into play, such as, ambient room temps, distance from the basking spot, enclosure size, ventilation, etc, etc, the list goes on. What works for me & my setups, won't necessarily work for other people's setups, as they are all different in some way. Personally, I have been using 'True' Halogen Flood bulbs exclusively (Philips Brand from Home Depot 50W-75W, depending on the enclosure - my choice) for over a decade & find them to do the job very well.

aiden1024

Hatchling Dragon
They are in a 20l right now but I really don't like the fact it's so short so tomorrow I'll be switching to a 40 breeder
I'm thinking a 100 watt halogen bulb will suffice
I'll keep you all posted on this and if I can actually get the heat where I need to be and as far as room temp I keep my whole house between 70-75 that's with the central air on all the time

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm thinking 100W halogen would be too hot in a 40, closer to 50-65-75W, again depending on the many variables.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That looks to be nothing more than a regular long life household incandescent bulb, but may do the job for you. Trial & Error ;).

Latest posts