• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

heat question

molbert73

Bearded Dragon Egg
I was just curious if it was recommended to use an under the tank heater. We do keep our house quite cool so I am a bit worried about the little guy getting cold.
Just trying to get things right before I bring our new pet home :)

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
UTH's are not recommended for bearded dragon enclosures because bearded dragons do not have heat sensors on their bellys so they will not feel if the spot they are laying on is too hot. Similarly heat rocks should never be used. If you are needing supplemental heat in his enclosure then the safest and best alternative is to use a CHE ceramic heat emitter that is on a thermostat. They radiate heat from above without giving off light so they can also be used as supplemental night heat if needed without disturbing your dragon's sleep. MAKE SURE THAT YOU USE A THERMOSTAT WITH CHEs.

I use these thermostats. They work well , are accurate, have a 2 degree +/- variant meaning that for instance if set for 80 degrees then when the temp drops to 78 degrees they turn on and heat to 82 degrees and turn off and have a nice digital display as well as a long remote probe. They also have a fail-safe preset so that if the thermostat fails and the temp rises to 110 degree then the thermostat will shut off completely. They run about 25 dollars on Amazon.com.

http://www.hydrofarm.com/product.php?itemid=3372

Just remember that as far as supplemental heat goes that unless the ambient temperature drops below 65 degrees Fahrenheit at night then you don't need any addition heat. Dragons benefit from being able to "cool down" at nite and will sleep better as it slows their metabolism down. If you do use a CHE then set the thermostat so that if the temp drops below 65 then it will come on just enough to knock the chill off.

Hope that helps!:)
Enjoy!!

molbert73

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you so much for the advice! I don't want to harm the little guy. Also, I don't want to waste money on things that I will end up not needing.

huberland

Bearded Dragon Egg
I had read in a book that under tank heaters were recommended, but something about it didn't sit too well with me. I'm glad that with just reading some of the topics on this forum that I can have most of my questions answered without having to dig too far :)

Latest posts