• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

heat lamps

brasshandle

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
were currently haveing a heatwave in england and its realy hot,so ive swopped marleys heat bulb from 100 watt to a 60 watt,to try and keep the temp the same,witch is useally about 80 in the cool end and 89 in the basking area with a temp of about 105 on his basking log. in the hot weather these temps have lifted even with the smaller bulb,i leave his bulbs on all day as im at work but i get home at dinner to take him out and mist him with water and again at evening. i dont want to cook the little fella and im a bit concerned as to what temps they can handle.if its to hot can you leave there heat bulb off for a few hours or not. love brasshandle ::) ::) ::)

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey Brass,
When it gets real Bad here in the states. I have had to kill all lights in the viv for a day or 2 just to keep temps down. The soaks are a great idea. When your soakink keep the doors to the viv open to allow heat to vent out better.

brasshandle

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
cheers wolfman,but when your soaking do you leave the bulbs on or off :) :)brasshandle

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Most days I only have the MVB on, though Tom has stated he turns his UVB and basking lights off to cool down the vivs, I have mine on a timer, and it just doesn't (MVB) like being turned off, and a few hours later back on, gotta undo too much.
I will slide open the doors just a tad, and turn on a floor fan on a pedestal to help cool down the enclosure.
Janie.

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I soak outside the viv.
I use a flurecent tube and a household buld. Im on timers as well, but its very easy to override the sysyem I have set up. I have never used the MVB bulbs at all. Altough switching over shouldnt be hard if I ever decide to go that route.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, Brasshandle. What are your temps reaching to?

brasshandle

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
hi renee,marleys basking area is getting over 111,and the cool area about 92 degrees f, even with the smaller bulb,the heatwave is cooling down now but is expected to come back,as im at work all day i cant leave his doors open ,i can get home in the afternoon to get him out and spray him,but should i turn his heat bulb off for 4 hours before i get home again. brasshandle ??? ??? ???

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Morning Brass,
Well morning here.
I would kill the heat bulb for the time you are gone, it wont hurt with the warm weather and the uvb is whats important, as always. If it where Me and mine I would kill the heat for the time I was gone.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What is your house temp?

You should be ok turning off the heat bulb.

brasshandle

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
cheers renne and wolfman, thats what ill do,i dontknow about you but piece of mind is a great thing. ;D ;D ;D

Latest posts