• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

heat emitter

sublyme

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
every time i get another heat emitter it just breaks again. i want to keep my beardie warm but these things are like $50.00 and i can't keep buying them. i have bought exo terra and zoo med 100's and 150's. the fixture is a exo terra with the metal frame. they work for about 3 months and then they just stop working.. suggestions?

sublyme

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
the heat emitter is for the basking end of the tank. its a 44 gallon. dont think it would get much below that temp in our house although its quite chilli at night. i sleep with the fan on.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If your air temps aren't dropping below the 65* mark.. I wouldn't worry about the emitter.. However, during the "day", try using a house hold flood light, or light bulb to get those temps up to optimum.. Just play around with watts, and distances , until you find that "happy" place.
Hope this helps.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah its better to use anormal white light bulb for basking site as dragons like it bright during the day.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've used a heat emitter in winter time when viv temps dropped below normal range.

A basking bulb is needed during the day for temps and to replicate the sun.

sublyme

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
thanks guys. thinking i am going to just toss this emitter as i have a 150watt basking light at that end anyway.i think im going to get a tempgun after reading how crap the other thermometers are. from there i will just play with the distance and position until i can make it optimum at that end. 8)

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How big is your tank? With 150 watt light your temps are probably extremely high in the first place, without adding a heat emitter. I achieve 110 to 115 with a simple 40 watt house bulb and a 8" dome fixture. What are you using currently to measure your temps?

grimm

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
see i have a 50 gallon breeder and i have to use a 150 watt to keep basking temps up, although the tile on the bottom of the tank keeps the heat of on the hot side, the cool side is a bit cooler than it should be, as i keep no heat on it. he usually sticks to the middle to cool off unless hes eating salad, chasing crickets or getting a drink.

sublyme

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
it's a 44 gallon. i have the light fixture clamped on the side of the tank facing downward at his basking spot on his log. its a 150watt rzilla bulb. measuring temps with a digital thermometer with the probe sensor on it. paid like $12.00 for it at petsmart. im guessing i need to throw it into the trash.

at one point i had a 150 watt heat emitter on top of the screen as well in the warm end. man i feel like crap now.. that was prob wayy to hot for him huh? no wonder the poor little guy wanted to stay under his little log. so glad i found this site!!!!!

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
before you toss it, change the battery. Could just be an old battery

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
There's a lot of factors that come into play when measuring temps (house temp, outside temp, window drafts to name a few). A digital probe is fine. As long as you maintain temps around 105F for babies on the hot side and 85F on the cool side, you are good to go. Everyone needs to play around with bulbs and wattage.

sublyme

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
went out and got a temp gun! although im not sure exactly where to put the laser dot on..

but the cold end is sitting at 80-84 warm end is 95 at best... need to raise it 10 degrees eh? whats the most logical way to do that?

ps: thinking that my light is as close as it's going to get.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As to where to aim the red dot.. Around 2" from the basking spot... Yes, those temps do need bumping up... Have you tried a house hold flood light yet ?
Those worked really well in my HUGE ( though not as huge as the ones Craig built) enclosures.
Hope this helps.

sublyme

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
have not tried that yet' although i think a new bulb is in order. saw a 160watt rzilla bulb at the pet store that is supposed to output uva and uvb light so i think i will give that a shot. *if temps dont raise enough, takin that crap straight back to the store ;)

sublyme

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
UPDATE: i am now getting temps around 100-114 with the temp gun in the warm end of the tank. The bulb i had was a zilla bulb or whatever. I grabbed a new 150w exoterra bulb at the pet store and temps got right where they needed to be.. ( in fact i had to back it up a bit.) My beardie seems to like it in the morning but later in the day when i get home he is in the warm end with a dark beard.. something about it not making him happy.. Temps are ideal per the heat gun.. but now im wondering if its getting too dry in his viv.. I guess I will go and purchase a humidity gage as i do not own one yet..

PS: I play classical music for him during the day. I think he likes it, but may prefer outdoor noises instead.

Latest posts