• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Heat and UVB dilemma

Bluegoodolls

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a double bulb lamp, housing one 100w heat bulb and one uvb bulb. This does not get his tank hot enough.

2 heat bulbs fix the problem, but leaves my beardie without uvb.

I am considering 2 options:

-getting a higher watt heat bulb, or

-getting a second, lower wattage capacity lamp for the uvb, which I would put alongside/ in front of the heat lamp.

Which option would be my best bet, in your opinion? Thanks

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
What size tank do i have? U bought the kit with the dual fixture huh? (Please tell me you’re not using the coil uvb bulb they put in the kit(these are a HUGE NO-no(they cause eye problems and the uvb they offer isn’t up to par) Easy way to fix it is go up in wattage, id get a 125 , 150watts get really hot and can create a basking of 130f+ (which you DONT want) but tbh.... personally,.... id tell u to ditch the dual fixture and get a single fixture and a bar uvb bulb, I bought the “beardie kit” aswell nothing in the kit was useful ive replaced pretty much everything in it except the food dishes(i got a 120gallon zenhab coming this month to get my girl out of her 40gal breeder)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a double bulb lamp, housing one 100w heat bulb and one uvb bulb. This does not get his tank hot enough.

2 heat bulbs fix the problem, but leaves my beardie without uvb.

I am considering 2 options:

-getting a higher watt heat bulb, or

-getting a second, lower wattage capacity lamp for the uvb, which I would put alongside/ in front of the heat lamp.

Which option would be my best bet, in your opinion? Thanks
Get rid of the coil UVB--- they are inadequate and in the long run are going to cause all kinds of health issues- are you using a 13 watt coil bulb? If so ditch it fast-- your basking temps need to be taken w/a digital probe thermometer NO stickons they are inaccurate before you change the bulb out for a higher wattage get a actual basking temp- take the probe set it on the place where he sits to bask wait 10 minutes and get the temp-- how old is the dragon and how big is the tank hes in? You need basking temps of 105-110 for a baby and 95-110 for a juvie/ adult dragon -- these two things the basking temps and the UVB are the MOST important thing in that tank - this is what you need for a UVB
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html a 24" for a 40+ gallon tank w/ this bulb https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html 22" bulb -- this bulb needs to be changed out in approx one year I recommend a month prior to -- please get your lighting and basking temps corrected or your gonna have a lot of health issues -- that UVB controls the absorption and synthesizing of the calcium your dragon is eating -- w/ out proper UVB he cannot do this along w/ other health issues -- please get the digital probe thermometer -- petco or petsmart carry them $9

Bluegoodolls

Bearded Dragon Egg
What size tank do i have? U bought the kit with the dual fixture huh? (Please tell me you’re not using the coil uvb bulb they put in the kit(these are a HUGE NO-no(they cause eye problems and the uvb they offer isn’t up to par) Easy way to fix it is go up in wattage, id get a 125 , 150watts get really hot and can create a basking of 130f+ (which you DONT want) but tbh.... personally,.... id tell u to ditch the dual fixture and get a single fixture and a bar uvb bulb, I bought the “beardie kit” aswell nothing in the kit was useful ive replaced pretty much everything in it except the food dishes(i got a 120gallon zenhab coming this month to get my girl out of her 40gal breeder)
I actually got everything from a couple who felt their son wasnt caring for the beardie well enough. It's a 40 gallon tank (light fixture pictured). The thermometer is a non electric dial though so I will buy a digital one and see what it says before buying another bulb.

I did get my own bulbs though. The UVB I'm using is the "zoomed reptisun 10.0 uvb compact fluorescent mini reptile lamp, 13- watt". Is this sufficient or should I swap it for a different bulb?

Attachments

• 16157334243394688848575323007832.jpg
    16157334243394688848575323007832.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Im pretty shes thats a coil uvb,, Can you attach a picture of it please, really a “bar light uvb” is what you want (there needs to be a uvb,uva spectrum in 70% of the lizards enclosure) , sadie is alot more versed on lighting than i am so id take her advice, can we see the enclosure and the beardie aswell? If you can messure it and weigh it on a kitchen scale in grams that’d give us additional information.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I actually got everything from a couple who felt their son wasnt caring for the beardie well enough. It's a 40 gallon tank (light fixture pictured). The thermometer is a non electric dial though so I will buy a digital one and see what it says before buying another bulb.

I did get my own bulbs though. The UVB I'm using is the "zoomed reptisun 10.0 uvb compact fluorescent mini reptile lamp, 13- watt". Is this sufficient or should I swap it for a different bulb?
Yes that is a coil UVB and they are the worst--- please get rid of it ASAP--- you need a long tube fixture like this for a 40 gallon get a 24" fixture --- when you get it please let me know I will help you get it properly placed-- the place I posted is really good for shipping out-- you need a digital probe-- please let me know when you get the UVB replaced and I will help you get it properly placed for your tank

Bluegoodolls

Bearded Dragon Egg
Im pretty shes thats a coil uvb,, Can you attach a picture of it please, really a “bar light uvb” is what you want (there needs to be a uvb,uva spectrum in 70% of the lizards enclosure) , sadie is alot more versed on lighting than i am so id take her advice, can we see the enclosure and the beardie aswell? If you can messure it and weigh it on a kitchen scale in grams that’d give us additional information.
I dont have a kitchen scale but the beardie is an adult. The temperature seems to have gotten to where it needs to be (I'll know for sure when I get the digital probe today). Now I just want to get this uvb thing right. I've attached pictures.

Attachments

• 20210314_104951.jpg
    20210314_104951.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • 20210314_105149.jpg
    20210314_105149.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • 20210314_105209.jpg
    20210314_105209.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10

Bluegoodolls

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes that is a coil UVB and they are the worst--- please get rid of it ASAP--- you need a long tube fixture like this for a 40 gallon get a 24" fixture --- when you get it please let me know I will help you get it properly placed-- the place I posted is really good for shipping out-- you need a digital probe-- please let me know when you get the UVB replaced and I will help you get it properly placed for your tank
Okay thank you for your help. Would it be better to turn off the coil uvb until the new one is here or should I leave it on.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay thank you for your help. Would it be better to turn off the coil uvb until the new one is here or should I leave it on.
Shut it off for now she can go w/ out for awhile but get it ordered NOW or ASAP-- I dont know what the weather is like where you are but outside of temps above 65 would be good- the direct sunlight is going to do her good- 15 minutes sitting on you or longer -- your basking light is good as long as its keeping temps to what they need to be --- just make sure your getting a accurate temp w the digital probe --- what wattage are you using for the 40 gallon? Your tank is on a stand? Sitting on the floor will effect temps- floors are cold and dragons like to see their surroundings -- it looks like its on a stand or table-- it looks like the top has only half screen on it-- that is good your UVB can possibly go there unobstructed w/ a distance of 12-15 inches directly above a piece of decor --

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Nice and sterile setup, looks good, very cute beardie too, yes those bulb are notoriously bad :/ , you’ll see a totally different animal a day or two after the new uvb is in, it looks a lil sluggish, what kind of veg is she eating? And bugs?

Vheefresch

Hatchling Dragon
Shut it off for now she can go w/ out for awhile but get it ordered NOW or ASAP-- I dont know what the weather is like where you are but outside of temps above 65 would be good- the direct sunlight is going to do her good- 15 minutes sitting on you or longer -- your basking light is good as long as its keeping temps to what they need to be --- just make sure your getting a accurate temp w the digital probe --- what wattage are you using for the 40 gallon? Your tank is on a stand? Sitting on the floor will effect temps- floors are cold and dragons like to see their surroundings -- it looks like its on a stand or table-- it looks like the top has only half screen on it-- that is good your UVB can possibly go there unobstructed w/ a distance of 12-15 inches directly above a piece of decor --
I ordered a digital thermometer coming tomorrow and took him out earlier I lost the receipt to the uv /uvb light I don’t no how much the light u recommend but the bulb I got was $33.00

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I ordered a digital thermometer coming tomorrow and took him out earlier I lost the receipt to the uv /uvb light I don’t no how much the light u recommend but the bulb I got was $33.00
What did you get?

Vheefresch

Hatchling Dragon
Found this one on Amazon digital thermometer

Attachments

• 83B3193E-C149-48C1-860D-97072E9A0067.png
    83B3193E-C149-48C1-860D-97072E9A0067.png
    7.1 MB · Views: 12

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So you bought another evergreen? I thought you just got that bulb--- please get the UVB I recommended- you need that UVB - get the distance recommended I posted earlier for the mvb-- 12" unobstructed or 8-10 w/ the screen-- that screen is going to block alot of the UVB rays and I don't know the output of those rays from that MVB so it's best to have the extra uvb in the tank--- he will go to the lights he needs--

Vheefresch

Hatchling Dragon
So you bought another evergreen? I thought you just got that bulb--- please get the UVB I recommended- you need that UVB - get the distance recommended I posted earlier for the mvb-- 12" unobstructed or 8-10 w/ the screen-- that screen is going to block alot of the UVB rays and I don't know the output of those rays from that MVB so it's best to have the extra uvb in the tank--- he will go to the lights he needs--
I will as soon as I can Iam looking on Amazon cause they deliver fasted what about this one

Attachments

• A9337C5E-4359-469E-AB02-083DF9CBC8A0.png
    A9337C5E-4359-469E-AB02-083DF9CBC8A0.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 13

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I will as soon as I can Iam looking on Amazon cause they deliver fasted what about this one
No! There was a dragon on another forum that died and they were using that same fixture-- we think it died from being too hot- they had 4 50 watt halogen lights in it--- please get the fixture I posted from pangeareptiles.com- they are fast and shipping is cheap

Latest posts