• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

healthy weight?

Sunkiss

Juvenile Dragon
Hi everyone,
I weighed my beardie last night and she weighed 3.5 oz. She is supposedly almost 7 months old; she is about 10 1/2 in long. Does all this sound good or should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don't have a scale in front of me but that seems a little bit light to me...
Anyone else care to 'weigh-in'?? No pun intended :)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
3.5 oz = 100g , which doesn't sound too bad for a 10.5" BD. I really don't like comparing BDs, as they all can grow at such different rates, but 10.5" seems a touch small for a 7 month old to me. I'm not saying this to alarm you, if she is otherwise healthy.

I'm finding that since breeders have started playing 'god' with genetics, for colors, morphs,etc that it seems BDs are growing slower & don't top out as large over all. Could be just me though.

Reactions: Jp

Sunkiss

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you. When I got her I was told she was 6 months old (almost a month ago). I think I will schedule a check up with a vet, I don't know if she has ever been to the vet before. She seems healthy to me, but she does seem to be a bit small.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Did you get it from a breeder? If you acquired it from a pet store, they would very likely have no actual idea of it's exact age & be just guessing. If it is looking healthy & growing, I don't think you have any cause for concern.

Sunkiss

Juvenile Dragon
I got her thru Craigslist and that person said they got her from a breeder when she was a baby and they told me she was 6 months old when I got her. There is no real way for me to know if they were telling me the truth.
Lately she has been eating like she is starving to death. lol I worry about over feeding her though.

Latest posts