• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Head Shaking

AlienShark

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello everyone. My beardie has had a shaky head for a few weeks now, and we have changed UVB and gave him more calcium supply. He is two years old and lives in a 40 gallon cage.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello everyone. My beardie has had a shaky head for a few weeks now, and we have changed UVB and gave him more calcium supply. He is two years old and lives in a 40 gallon cage.
What did you change the uvb to? Brand and bulb please

GSieg

Hatchling Dragon
Is it head bobbing? Looks mostly like an up and down jerky nodding motion? That's a male being a male if it is.

If it is tremors and a constant motion, take them to a vet immediately.

AlienShark

Bearded Dragon Egg
Is it head bobbing? Looks mostly like an up and down jerky nodding motion? That's a male being a male if it is.

If it is tremors and a constant motion, take them to a vet immediately.
I will send a video if possible, i am not sure of the difference

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It’s the ReptiSun T5-HO 10.0 UVB. Bulb
Where in the tank is it? top of screen or inside the tank and the screen is a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type? This will determine where the UVB needs to go

AlienShark

Bearded Dragon Egg
Where in the tank is it? top of screen or inside the tank and the screen is a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type? This will determine where the UVB needs to go
It is in the underside, inside the cage. The top is riveted with holes, but its stronger than just mesh. It also has the silver reflector.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It is in the underside, inside the cage. The top is riveted with holes, but its stronger than just mesh. It also has the silver reflector.
Ok so please have a piece of basking decor directly under the uvb 12-15 inches+ can you post a pic of the shaking your describing - is it bobbing up and down or actually shaking

AlienShark

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi Sadie,

It is a shaking, but I cant find how to send a vid, (live pictures dont work either) , but the good news is that the shacking has decreased significantly. It is almost un-noticiable now so does it mean that i am doing something right? I’m just worried so that it wont happen again.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi Sadie,

It is a shaking, but I cant find how to send a vid, (live pictures dont work either) , but the good news is that the shacking has decreased significantly. It is almost un-noticiable now so does it mean that i am doing something right? I’m just worried so that it wont happen again.
You can record on you tube then post the link-- I am glad the shaking has decreased --- the UVB properly placed and has / or is correcting the issue- what UVB were you using before getting the Reptisun T 5? Please replace the bulb in approx 10 - 11 months --- they are good for a year but w/ him having issues I wouldnt go any longer -- this is going to prevent any more I am thinking -- you can also get him outside in the summer / fall w/ temps that are good 70's and up let him sit on you w/ some direct sunlight that will also prevent any more calcium issues --- are you feeding calcium D 3 ?

AlienShark

Bearded Dragon Egg
You can record on you tube then post the link-- I am glad the shaking has decreased --- the UVB properly placed and has / or is correcting the issue- what UVB were you using before getting the Reptisun T 5? Please replace the bulb in approx 10 - 11 months --- they are good for a year but w/ him having issues I wouldnt go any longer -- this is going to prevent any more I am thinking -- you can also get him outside in the summer / fall w/ temps that are good 70's and up let him sit on you w/ some direct sunlight that will also prevent any more calcium issues --- are you feeding calcium D 3 ?
I’ll see if i can post the vid on YT. I have been feeding him d3 Calcium, along with BSF larvae so i think that should be more than enough calcium. I already changed the bulb (it was pretty old, slighly over a year) around 3 weeks ago, then he started getting the shakes 2 weeks ago but now they are going away. I was using the same bulb however, so i guess he was just getting used to it?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I’ll see if i can post the vid on YT. I have been feeding him d3 Calcium, along with BSF larvae so i think that should be more than enough calcium. I already changed the bulb (it was pretty old, slighly over a year) around 3 weeks ago, then he started getting the shakes 2 weeks ago but now they are going away. I was using the same bulb however, so i guess he was just getting used to it?
How often are you dusting? and what are you dusting -- the UVB is what helps them absorb / synthesize the D3 your feeding -- your UVB was expired --- please mark the calendar or the box on when you replaced it so you can keep up on it ---