• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Having trouble changing substrate...

I_Love_George

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
OK, so I decided about 3 months ago to change George's substrate. Though I like the look of the sand and George seems to like digging in it, I put in some tile that a friend of mine had (they used it for their beardie, and had some left over). Not too long after that, George started acting very different. He looked like he was in a constant state of stress, which was indicated by the lines all over his belly and his beard being black most of the time. Within 2 days of that, he stopped eating. Now that worried me because he has always ate very well. After about 2 weeks (I managed to get him to eat a couple of horned worms but that's it) I just thought of what was different. A friend of mine randomly said that maybe it was the change of habitat. I decided to try it before taking him to vet. Within a day or two he looked much more content, and his appetite started picking up. Is it possible that I waited too long to do this? He is about a year and a half now. Or should I at least try again just to make sure?

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I'm not sure, maybe it just takes them awhile to adjust. If you changed up their original settings, they may be confused and think they've come to a new home or something. So they may feel stressed out till they get used to it. My gecko was kinda confused at first about the tile but he started to get used to it and kept up with his appetite. Depends on the reptile I guess and how they adapt to change. If he seems to be adjusting well now on the tile then I wouldn't worry too much. If he keeps on not eating, then I'd start asking someone with more experience on how to fix that so he won't lose any weight or get sick. I'm definitely no expert on beardies, but sometimes it just takes animals awhile to get used to their new set ups.

I_Love_George

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thank you for the advice. I think your right, maybe if I do it a little at a time, eventually over time he will get used to it...

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I hope so, I'll keep him in my prayers! I can't wait till I can put tile in for Jethro. He's on paper towel for now since he's a baby, but when he's bigger, switching to tile like Merlin :)

Latest posts