• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

have you ever seen

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Two dragons fighting from opposite sides of the glass?

i've been working in my reptile room in order to add additional stackables to my wall. In the process, I've been moving around cages, that's just plain unsafe to move with animals inside. So I've put them in your standard 40 breeder tanks while i get it done.
I've got 4 tanks that butt end to end along the wall.

My German Giants are what i call "a dominant bunch of matriarchs"
Two of the largest females were end to end in seperate cages watching me work my stupid butt off for their sheer enjoyment........
I go to get something to drink, which took all of 5 minutes and heard this loud "thump"
I walk back in to see them both running at each other (actually the glass) in some sort of bull goring stance. Hissing, puffing and stomping. Talk about ticked off females...........................wow

I put some cardboard between them thinking they would calm down, but it still took another 30+ minutes. taking them out of the enclosure to try to calm them didn't work either........or so my fingers recall..........
my last option was throwing some cold water on them. I was scared they would break their necks.

Now I've seen dragons fight......and the results. but i've never seen this before.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Those are two very dominant females lol. I cant say i have ever seen it but i can imagine that it must have been worrysome watching them go full speed into the glass at each other.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
it was freaky Brian. in my experience, I've never had much problem with females in general.....and honestly believe it to be that this lines genes are just so dominant they can't help theirselves.

Imagine being in front of your 2 dragons watching them seriously trying to get to each other, causing their self harm in the process, scared to step away with very little of any use within close reach.
i have no idea if the water was the right thing to do..........but it did seem to work. cold blooded.....cold water..........couldn't have felt good.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Bella my blood female is a very dominant dragon like that. its hilarious to see a female headbob at any dragon she sees. I think certain bloodlines may cause a more aggressive nature. Like Pita, he is extremely aggressive, as is his father, so i think its passed down.

The cold water is probably the best idea at the time (short of getting your fingers destroyed while trying to wrap them up in a towel lol).

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
well...........I could probably use some of those "steri strip" things on the side of my hand.

i had the ultimate "DOH!" factor happenin

DragonMom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thats pretty intense from 2 females! WOW, I knew they could show dominance but never imagined that females would be so aggressive trying to get at each other. I think the cold water was better than doing nothing at all, since the card board didn't work, you had to stop them somehow, I can't imagine what kind of damage they might have done to themselves slamming into the glass like that! Your fingers must be pretty sore after that as well. OUCH! They have quite the bite force.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
when you figure 1 26 inch dragon and another 24 3/4 inch dragon..........both hitting well over 750 grams of lean weight...........i guess they have the right to have their way. ;D

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
lol once again, proof that females arent such little angels! ive only seen 1 female THAT aggressive and that was lizzy but she was aggressive with everyone except magellan

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
these girls are the picture perfect animals. Never have they tried to bite me. My grand daughter gets them out by herself. She's 3. But when it comes to other dragons, even males, they have their particulars.

I haven't ever been able to breed them with just any dragon. It takes careful watching, and trial and error............else he becomes..............injured...........

DragonMom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
At that size, I would imagine they could get pretty pushy with even a big male! Sounds like the Ladies aren't too gentle! LOL

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
seems like these lil ladies need some leather "breeding" attire when its mating season lol

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
so do you have any babies from either of these ladies? That size really intrigues me ;D

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just a question, do you know if their offspring display the same size trait? and if so i want on the waiting list, even if there isnt a waiting list, i want on the list lmao

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i go with the best the gene pool can offer at the time. I only have 2 giant males......both range around the 23-24 inch mark, smaller than the females. But their breeding doesn't always work because of that "matriarch" appeal.

at times, i have to revert to crosses, which range between 20-24 inches.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Jumping in here late, but I'm glad everyone is fine. That must have been horrible to experience. It's a good thing you were around to prevent any harm coming to either.

Latest posts